Lizard Lady AD on KS - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:38 AM   #1
JJFOUTZ
Lizard Lady AD on KS

I do not know how to print screen so that the pics are seen here but there are two pics of albinos and a regular looking boa in the ad and the text is below.

Ready to breed next season - captive bred

Male Albino Het for Sunglow - 51 inches long - $3,500

Female Albino Fineline Het for Sunglow - 46 inches long - $3,800

Female 100% Het for Albino and Finline - 44 inches long - $1,000

Eating 2 large mice or small to medium rats F/T

Tons of money to be made with this project!

Hopefully this link to the ad will work.
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=8&de=222555

Do you belive this??

Old 06-08-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
JJFOUTZ
How could her albino be het for sunglow????????????????

Old 06-08-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Here is the screen shot of the ad. I am confused with something though. How can an animal be het for sunglow. I thought Sunglow was the result of crossing an Albino and Salmon boa(or something along those lines) Maybe I am wrong but if someone could shed some light on this I would appreciate it as I am not too much into the Boas any more.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
JJFOUTZ
The hypo gene is not recessive so her albino can not be het for sunglow, that was the whole point of the post.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Rob @ RK Reptiles
elaboration

As I understand it to produce a "Sunglow" Boa you have to breed a Salmon/Hypo Boa that is het for Albino to an albino and 25% of the resulting offspring should be Sunglow, or 2 Salmon/Hypo Boas het for Albino bred will result in 50% Sunglows. Is this correct? If this is correct than there is no way this persons albinos are het for Sunglow as Salmon/Hypo is a dominant trait and not a simple recessive trait.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:25 PM   #6
Darin Chappell
I think we all have to be careful about how we use the word "het." While it is true that "het" usually implies a gene that is hidden in an animal, it is not always the case. "Heterozygous" merely means that an animal has two different genes at a specified locus.

So, a tiger retic is het for the gene that creates that pattern variation, even though, because the gene is dominant, the pattern mutation shows. A super tiger retic is the result of an animal being homozygous for the mutatant gene. What is NOT possible, is a normally patterned retic, showing no tiger striping, to be het for that gene.

I'm sure everyone in this discussion thus far knows all of that above. I am not trying to be a know-it-all condescending jerk here, but others may come along and not know how "het" really applies to genetics. We just tend to misuse the term sometimes.

Anyway, for the Lizard lady to say that she has an albino het for sunglow, she can be right, IF she is describing a sunglow in a weird fashion (and I admit that it seems very unlikely that she would use this terminology!). But IF she is intending to say that her normally colored albino has a hidden gen for Salmon/hypo in its genotype, she is mistaken at best, and misrepresenting her animals at worst.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
mdc
close, but.....

Hypo het albino x Albino =
25% sunglows, 25% albinos, 25% hypos het albino (dh sunglows), and 25% normal het albinos.

Hypo het albino x Hypo het albino =
18.75% sunglows, 6.25% albinos, 50% hypos that are 66% het albino, and 25% normals that are 66% het albino. Also, all the hypos would be possibly dominant.

I already sent her an email stating that it is not possible to have what she is claiming. If they carried the hypo gene, then they would be sunglows.

Matt Crabe

Old 06-08-2004, 01:34 PM   #8
Darin Chappell
"As I understand it to produce a "Sunglow" Boa you have to breed a Salmon/Hypo Boa that is het for Albino to an albino and 25% of the resulting offspring should be Sunglow, or 2 Salmon/Hypo Boas het for Albino bred will result in 50% Sunglows. Is this correct?"

Actually, in those pairings, the resulting expected offspring would statisically be the following:

Salmon, het for Amel bred to Amel would produce:

25% Het. Amel,
25% Homozygous Amel,
25% Salmon, Het. Amel,
25% Salmon, Homozygous Amel, (Sunglows)

And, Salmon het amel bred to a Salmon, het amel would produce:

6.25% Normals
12.5% Het. Amel,
6.25% Homozygous Amel,
12.5% Salmon,
25% Salmon, Het. Amel,
12.5% Salmon, Homozygous Amel, (Sunglows)
6.25% Homozygous Salmon, (Super Salmon?)
12.5% Homozygous Salmond, Het. Amel, (Super Salmon?)
6.25% Homozygous Salmond, Homozygous Amel, (Super Sunglows?)

I used the question marks in relation to the names of the animals homozygous for the Salmon genes, because I am not certain as to what they are actually called, and the word "Super" may or may not be accurate. However, the genetics and the percentages shown are accurate.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #9
JJFOUTZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin Chappell
Anyway, for the Lizard lady to say that she has an albino het for sunglow, she can be right, IF she is describing a sunglow in a weird fashion (and I admit that it seems very unlikely that she would use this terminology!).
The pictures provided in the ad are clearly albinos, not sunglows so the second half of your statement would apply.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darin Chappell
But IF she is intending to say that her normally colored albino has a hidden gen for Salmon/hypo in its genotype, she is mistaken at best, and misrepresenting her animals at worst.
I would like to think that she bought an Albino that was a Sunglow clutchmate and doesn't understand the genetics correctly.

Old 06-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #10
Darin Chappell
I would hope so too. Isn't "The Lizard Lady" a name underwhich Marci McGinnis (sp?) sometimes posts? This isn't the same person, is it?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!