Leopard Gecko Registry; Unneeded Bureaucracy? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
Intense Herpetoculture
Leopard Gecko Registry; Unneeded Bureaucracy?

I've been lurking around on the net lately, and something popped up recently. It is called the Leopard Gecko Registry (LGR). The question I'm posing to everyone is, “Why in the world would you want to put such a bureaucracy in place?”

Sure, they is a huge list of breeders reproducing leopard geckos, including various (seems unlimited) color and physical morphs. They often sale similar animals under different names. Even quite different animals under the same name. I'm sure it would be nice to streamline names for the morphs, selecting certain traits that would set standards for each unique herpetocultive ambition. This is just the wrong place to do it. The proper place would be in reference materials; maybe a decent book overwhelmingly looked to by the hobby. I see the up side and perhaps the original reason for such a creation of a forum. It would allow parentage of offspring to be easily looked up, etc. Sort of sounds like the AKC, but for leopard geckos.

In a hobby where we are driven by pure interest in these animals, for whatever reason, why would we even dare to create such a registry? In effect you are just creating more work for yourself (paperwork, ehh) and more red tape for future herpetoculturists wanting to get started with their own ideas. Right now it is obvious that the LGR has no power in the reptile world, but if the conditions are right the LGR could become the next big thing in the leo world. In effect, you would be taking power out of your hands and putting it in someone else.

We already have system in place to do practically everyone the LGR was created for. It's called the free market. It dictates what each morph looks like and if accurate & detailed records are needed for a breeder to sell their stock. I personally like this system best because it shows the true nature of the product that is being offered. Luckily the LGR is also at the door of the free market and I'm sure that in a sort while it will become defunct.

With that being said, I have a feeling that while the LGR was created out of a good idea. It's nothing more then a hungry power trip for those who created it, and perhaps even those that are members. Time is better put somewhere else and with something much more creative.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
Justyn, I agree that this is an unneeded entity.
This is the quote that I agree with most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Herpetoculture
In effect, you would be taking power out of your hands and putting it in someone else.
I'm sure that Stephanie had good intentions but I am the one who attaches my name to the animals that I sell. I am the one who stands behind them and I am the one who makes sure that when someone buys an animal from me, they are happy. I don't think that any certificate from a third party is going to do that.

Stephanie, this is not a dig at you, it is just the reasoning in why I CHOOSE not to participate in your program.

Old 01-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #3
The NY Gecko
agreed. theres a reason for free enterprise. and although i whole heartedly disagree with out sourcing, i feel that every other aspect of free enterprise is great. we dont need a system of checks and balances outside of the market consumers and breeders themselves. this would in short limit what breeders could call theyre morphs due to paperwork and like stated above would become a real pain in the arse. i dont know if the people in charge were looking for a power trip. perhaps the intentions were good but the overall plan on how to carry out those intentions is a little flawed.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
montezuma
[quote=Intense Herpetoculture]I have a feeling that while the LGR was created out of a good idea. It's nothing more then a hungry power trip for those who created itQUOTE]

I agree with you on everything but this. I feel it was created out of the desire to generate income off of the industry... luckily most people feel the $5 is best spent towards feeding the geckos instead of getting a piece of paper that says they spent $5 to post a classified ad.

Old 01-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
PaulSage
I appreciate the idea and all, it's just that I keep good records of my own and the time involved with registering records with another entity just doesn't seem worthwhile to me. Same thing with the Cornsnake Registry. I could see it being more valuable/worthwhile with something like the ball python or bearded dragon market however.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #6
WindyO
The only thing that i like about the idea is being able to see the heritage of breeders. Someone can't say their breeders are from so and so. There would be documented proof of bloodlines. You could also see what the lines look like back one generation to the next.

Still i agree with everyone else that while the price seems modest it is unnecessary. You would be giving them too much control in away. It would be nice to be able to find all of the websites in one place though. My wife erased my bookmarks once and it must have taken me 4 hours and a couple of searches to find them again.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
coyote
I don't know. Cornsnake people now have a registry. And many of us think it's a whiz bang great idea.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
KelliH
Quote:
It's nothing more then a hungry power trip for those who created it, and perhaps even those that are members.
Or perhaps just another place to have a link to one's website.

No tripping over here.

Seriously though.. it's not a bad idea. Will it work, in the long run? Dunno.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #9
saltwaterreptiles
yeah, my only concern would be with it working, not with the concept. In order for it to work 100% it would require 100% participation, which we all know from just the few posts here, won't happen.

I'm with Kelli in that it is a nice spot to have a link, and also, as a buyer, its a nice spot to go and see the wares of multiple sellers all in one spot...

Old 01-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwaterreptiles
I'm with Kelli in that it is a nice spot to have a link, and also, as a buyer, its a nice spot to go and see the wares of multiple sellers all in one spot...
That was already established... see Herpportal

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!