Wanted Puerto Rican Coqui - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Other For Sale/Wanteds Classifieds > Amphibians

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
GreenVivariums
Puerto Rican Coqui

These frogs are native to the island of Puerto Rico and are protected there, so obviously you can't get them from PR. However, some careless person managed to transport a large quantity of them to Hawaii at some point within the last decade or so, and now they are considered a pest there due to their exceptionally loud call. Does anyone know a private breeder of these frogs, or anyone in Hawaii who could acquire some (rather than exterminate them, as the locals have taken to doing)? Furthermore, does anyone know the legality surrounding the exportation of a non-native invasive species from Hawaii?
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Element360
I think i can help.
ive seen them in hawaii and puerto rico.
they are the same frog essentially but not the "same" if you can get what i mean.
and they dont survive in the united states. zoos have already tried but with little success.
not to be a party pooper but this is a lost cause trying to get one.
btw hawaii is super strict on exportation

Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
GreenVivariums
I knew Hawaii was extremely strict on exportation, but I was curious about species that they considered to be invasive (aka species they are actively trying to exterminate from their environment).

Also, these frogs have actually established themselves in some localities within the continental U.S. So far, there are populations in Florida and Louisiana. The only difficulty I can see with keeping them is getting them to breed. Zoos very well may have tried and failed at that, and given their average life span of 2 years, that's not surprising. Still, the same has been said of many species before, and avid herp enthusiasts have defied the odds countless times, making the impossible possible. I'm not giving up quite yet.
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
GreenVivariums
---bump
  Contact User Check User

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread