Bad Guy Andrew Potts- I want my money back - Page 18 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #171
HerpHobbiest
I see your point...

I see that he wanted his money back, or a nicer animal...

If I purchased the pick of the litter. I would not want a less nice animal for the same $$$$

And, does that mean Andrew Potts is clear to keep the $4,500.00 + dollars?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 AM   #172
Show Me
Maybe,or maybe not. It would be in the best interest of the buyer to try and work this out with the seller, but if the buyer feels it can't be worked out... he then can sue in civil court. But using criminal ways to push the seller around will not work, it will only get you jail time and may also result in restitution which can cost a heck of a lot more than the $4,600. Also want to say... I have a feeling even if he went to small claims court now they might throw the case out since most judges will not help out someone who has tried to use a illegal way to get more than they are owed.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:43 AM   #173
BG2388
Man, you guys are really going to make some lawyers rich and end up both with shattered reputations. Everyone in my family is a lawyer and the first thing they would tell you is no one wins in 90% of lawsuits except the attorney. I would never buy from any of the people involved in this "transaction" I am just some small timer that collects bearded dragons and dreams of getting a tortoise though. I just thought I would comment on just how stupid it is to blackmail someone in writing and also how stupid it is to not just pony up 4g's to save your reputation... When you start dealing with lawyers you are both going to be paying lots more than that in time and money. Why are so many herp people so shady.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #174
BG2388
Sorry for the bad grammar but I just read 18pages of that and my eyes are tired. I read this board to try and learn who to stay away from in the industry and who are the good guys. I am very happy I have only had one bad transaction in my life and that involved a bearded dragon with poor eyesight. Instead of freaking out about it I just hand feed it. I cannot imagine someone murdering the animals for monetary gain or blackmail reasons but that is about as shady as it gets (if it happened)

Old 04-11-2012, 02:23 AM   #175
Show Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by BG2388 View Post
Man, you guys are really going to make some lawyers rich and end up both with shattered reputations. Everyone in my family is a lawyer and the first thing they would tell you is no one wins in 90% of lawsuits except the attorney. I would never buy from any of the people involved in this "transaction" I am just some small timer that collects bearded dragons and dreams of getting a tortoise though. I just thought I would comment on just how stupid it is to blackmail someone in writing and also how stupid it is to not just pony up 4g's to save your reputation... When you start dealing with lawyers you are both going to be paying lots more than that in time and money. Why are so many herp people so shady.
They are not going to make some lawyer rich. Andrew doesn't need a lawyer for a criminal case. All he needs to do is fill out a report and show up to testify, the district attorney will take care of the rest . Sean can be represented by a public defender however if he wants his own lawyer he can spend the money. Even if they want go after each other in civil court... many states allow you to sue for up $5000, heck I think the state of IL allows up to $10,000. No lawyers are needed in small claims, small court fee and that's it. I have a hard time believing that everyone in your family is a lawyer.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 AM   #176
BG2388
I really don't care if you believe that or not. Good luck with all the litigation. If I felt like going down the family tree you would realize you are wrong, but I have nothing to prove to you. I don't even give a crap except for the animal that died needlessly. I have a hard time believing you live in Missouri. That is about as baseless a claim as the one you made about my family. You seem like quite a vile and ill tempered person. I have no problem making that claim after reading 18pages of your junk. Public Defenders are awesome if you like to lose. You still have to pay court cost. A decent lawyer wouldn't take this case anyway. It would be a waste of their time. Why don't you go back to bashing the OP who got sent the dead animal.
Father J.D Univ. Alabama 1971
Brother J.D. Univ Alabama 2007
Sister-in-Law J.D. Univ. Alabama 2007
peace.....I could have listed 15-20 more if I felt like including extended family, but I am too tired and lazy and frankly don't give a crap

Old 04-11-2012, 02:56 AM   #177
Show Me
Quote:
I really don't care if you believe that or not. Good luck with all the litigation. If I felt like going down the family tree you would realize you are wrong, but I have nothing to prove to you. I don't even give a crap except for the animal that died needlessly. I have a hard time believing you live in Missouri. That is about as baseless a claim as the one you made about my family. You seem like quite a vile and ill tempered person. I have no problem making that claim after reading 18pages of your junk. Public Defenders are awesome if you like to lose. You still have to pay court cost. A decent lawyer wouldn't take this case anyway. It would be a waste of their time. Why don't you go back to bashing the OP who got sent the dead animal.
peace.....I could have listed 15-20 more if I felt like including extended family, but I am too tired and lazy and frankly don't give a crap
Quote:
No reason to get your panties in a bunch. You stated EVERYONE in your family was a lawyer. I was right, not ALL of them are. My family consist of mayor, lawyer and teachers however I wouldn't state all my family are lawyers. Duh.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #178
BG2388
it is 2am no clothes here have a good one

Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #179
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me
I've been around a few lawyers. This is not stealing, he shipped the product. If the buyers isnt happy he can try and work it out with the seller or file a civil case.
Really!? That's a bold (read: poorly thought out, IMO) statement. You really think the onus is on the buyer to jump through hoops or seek legal action to fix the seller's mistake? I think you're coming pretty far out of left field on this one. Live arrival only guaranteed through litigation if you piss him off...Hell of a precedent to encourage, in regards to standing behind one's TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me
Blackmail can get you years in jail.... what Andrew has done would not get him one day in jail. There is a big difference here.
Oh, I don't know about that. While we're going out of our way to spin things and miss the real point while arguing moot ones, the buyer paid a lot of cash for a live, healthy snake. What he received was a dead and rotting one. That could just as easily be twisted and labled as fraud. Mr. Potts keeps asking the buyer to prove, via posting of emails, that he didn't approve of how his associates were handling the situation. So, turnabout is fair play. I mean, can the seller prove that the snake was alive when he sent it out? Maybe he had a very recently deceased boa that he saw as an opportunity to turn into a quick $4500. Does he happen to have a continuous video clip showing the living snake being packed and sealed in the box and that box being driven to and handed over to the shipping agent? My own ideas are no more approaching ad ridiculum than those of the conspiracy theorists that support the seller's refusal to do the right thing.

Unless people really buy into the X-Files fan-fiction-like conspiracy theories, it's pretty hard to paint a picture that doesn't involve the snake dying due to the seller's shipping negligence. It doesn't take a specialized degree in thermodynamics to speculate on how it likely went down: snake shipped in a very small, styrofoam-insulated compartment with 2 heat packs in 80+ degree weather. Said styrofoam box is placed within a cardboard box which is then transported in a large metal box (delivery truck), possibly having very restricted air flow due to being surrounded by others boxes on all sides. Pretty easy, for me, at least, to see how this could lead to a slow-roasted boa.

Bottom line: the fact that the buyer seems to have made the mistake of aligning himself with some shady characters DOES NOT, in and of itself, negate the seller's extremely likely responsibility for the snake's death. If he's that salty over what he believes to be blackmail, then he should pursue it in court against those that can be proven to be directly responsible for it. Meanwhile, what he owes the actual buyer, I believe, is an entirely different situation.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #180
bsharrah
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftycrane View Post
Yikes. Someone just showed their true colors. Refusing to be in the wrong and make amends for an error. Prob just made it to the top of a whole lot of people's "do not buy from list".
Definitely made it to the top of mine. This bad guy thread appears to be well justified. By hiding behind the "but they tried to blackmail me" BS, it just shows the seller will look for any excuse to avoid doing the right thing. I would avoid doing business with him as well as those supporting his decision.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!