rubber boas? (charina bottae) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: favorite snake?
red tail boa 1 16.67%
ball python 1 16.67%
burmese or retic python 1 16.67%
rainbow boa 1 16.67%
arboreal boas 1 16.67%
rosy/rubber other ground boas 6 100.00%
colubrids 1 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
mittens978
Question rubber boas? (charina bottae)

okay, so i want to get some rubber boas. i did as much research on them as i could and found out a lot of interesting stuff. i want to find out about the laws on captive breeding them and selling them. i've seen a bunch of conflicting info about them, like i heard that you can only keep 3 at a time but then another source said 5. some sources say you need a permit to breed them some didn't. i am in california and some information about the laws on this stuff would be much appreciated.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
AncientDNA
I would contact Ryan Hoyer.
http://www.ophidiarium.com/index.html
His father is a big Rubber Boa guy...I just don't have his contact info handy...
-JC

Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
jdustin
In CA you need a sport fishing license to collect a rubber boa, and keep in mind that the southern rubber boa is protected and cannot be collected. As I read the current regulations (I'm not a lawyer) with a fishing license you can collect and possess 2 northern rubber boas.

As far as I know, the only species native to CA that you can legally breed and sell (with special permit) are the Rosy Boa, Gopher, and Common Kingsnake. People do sell some CA native species that are from outside of CA (rosys, zonata agalma, etc), but typically they can be visually distinguished from the native CA populations... unfortunately rubber boas cannot. Also, I am not aware of any state where rubber boas are found where it is legal to commercially breed them.

If you do successfully breed charina in CA, I don't think you will find a way to legally sell the offspring.
www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/pdffiles/fg1502.pdf

As AncientDNA said, you might contact Ryan Hoyer (he also runs rubberboas.com). He might have some thoughts for you. Personally, I would thoroughly look over all laws related to rubber boas in your state, and contact the department of F&G with any questions.

For your enjoyment, here's a rubber boa that I saw during my lunch break today, about 2 hours ago.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Harold of the Rocks
If you look in any CA freshwater sport fishing handbook (there free at any sporting goods counter) it breaks down all the reptile laws for CA. I have the CA prop permit and im allowed 2 charina in possession. However i couldn't breed them for commercial purposes. If they were to accidentally breed i believe they could be documented on the permit as non commercial and given away.

I see your in Napa too if i can be of further assistance.
Ben (napasnakedork@yahoo.com)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!