Bearded dragon genetics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization

Notices

Genetics, Taxonomy, Hybridization General discussions about the science of genetics as well as the ever changing face of taxonomy. Issues concerning hybridization are welcome here as well.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
DragonKeeper86
Bearded dragon genetics

So, Im thinking of getting a female hypo translucent to pair with my male Sandfire (from Dragons Den). What would I get? Would I get any hypo translucents? Would I get hypo/trans with sandfire traits? Would I get sandfire double hets? Im not exactly sure how the genetics of this work. Im not even sure if will be breeding, but if I do... obviously I would want to learn as much about the genetics of it as possible. If it is too much to explain, does anyone have a link to a good website which can explain it in detail. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
dondeb562
Hypo and trans are both recessive genes so unless your sandfire is carrying those genes you will only yeild double hets

Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
ADS Dragons
Just like dondeb said you will get double hets.

Mostly likely you will get double het sandfires. Meaning they will look like sandfires but carry both genes for hypo and trans.

Now if you take one of these babies and breed them back to the hypo/trans or a different one, you will end up with hypo trans sandfires, showing traits of all three.

Hope this helps.

-Andy

Old 01-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
kgoda5
i know this is a noob question but what is a double het

Old 01-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #5
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoda5 View Post
i know this is a noob question but what is a double het
Hi Kerri, het is short for Heterozygous.

Basicly means that a het dragon is carrying a recessive gene for another morph, when bred to another het or visible morph of the same kind it will produce the morph its het for.

Double het means there are 2 different morphs involved.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
kgoda5
thanks i always wondered what that meant

Old 01-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
zzzdanz
There should be some kind of chart or something to make this easier to figure out.The whole genetics thing gets confusing.I'm sure it's pretty easy after awhile but trying to get it straight gives me a headache.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
kgoda5
i have a translucent that i just bought and i want to breed her with this male i got but i dont know anything about his genes at all he is from a pet store he was a rescue pretty much because the one i got him from dont take care of their animals at all but hes very white and he is huge he golden eyes and clear nails do you know what he might be? he has yellow around his eyes i dont have any pics of him right now but i will take one later and post it but if they had babies what would i call them

Old 02-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #9
Omnomnami
The dragon you're describing sounds like a leucistic or a leucistic cross. I googled the leucistic dragon and got this picture(this isn't my dragon or my picture, just a description of the morph):

Notice the white body, yellow around the eyes and the clear nails.

Hope this helps, Kerri!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
kgoda5
he looks like that just not as white and his head is bigger thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!