GTP v.s. ETB - Which first & info on both? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
OwnerSince2010
Question GTP v.s. ETB - Which first & info on both?

I'm completely awe-struck by both of these species, absolutely beautiful, and want to start doing research to own one. Prolly will be doing research, planning, and prep for 3-6 months, as I've only been owning snakes for ~ 7 months and I know neither are beginner snakes.

To start off, which would you recommend first? From what research I've done, the GTP seems a little easier to start off with because of the ETB's regurgitation problem? Or did I get info from a bad source?

Any specific sites/books that give really good information? I'm fully capable of typing it in to google, but if anyone knows anything that's pinpoint accurate or surpasses other information sources by far then it would be a great help Read on here a few times of people recommending "More complete condro" by Maxwell, is it worth the $45?

Arboreal Cages... I have no clue how these work really. Should I build my own and add PVC pipes to climb on? How many pipes are needed? How far spaced? Does it need a basking spot? What's the easiest way to keep the ambient temperature / humidity up? Any recommendations on which brand of heat source, thermostat, humidifiers, or thermometers to use? My plan was to build/set up the cage, make sure the temperature and humidity can stay consistent with what's required, then move a snake in...

Temperament... Everything I've read says these snakes are bad tempered. Same was also said about JCP yearlings, and neither of mine have even attempted to feign a strike at me. Is it more "They will randomly strike at you, unprovoked, and are very hard to calm down" or "They will strike at you if you don't treat them with the utmost of respect"? I haven't been bit yet *crosses fingers* but I know it will happen eventually, especially since my dwarf retic is very cage aggressive (amazing snake when you get him out of the cage, but he is always striking at the glass). I know the basics of not coming in in front or above the snake, don't act like prey, and movements slow but with confidence...

Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
RachelSS
Emeralds are just not forgiving to husbandry errors. I would go with a Green Tree first personally. Emeralds need more specific heat/humidity requirements and will regurgitate their food from stress of not having proper husbandry. They will also regurge if you are pushing their feedings too much. Slow and steady with feeding these guys!

Maxwell's book is fantastic, no questions asked.

You can buy some PVC from Lowes and create your own little arboreal set up. Easy and cheaper in my opinion. You can go with a nice PVC enclosure but I like plastic bins for my arboreals. Work just as well and substantially cheaper

With green trees, since I live in Florida, I don't give them heat in the spring/summer/fall. The natural temp fluctuations work perfectly. You can do a ceramic heat emitter for a basking spot heat, or you could just put some heat tape on the top of the enclosure too, just make sure you have a thermostat because Green trees will definitely roam at night, don't want them burning their face.

I wouldn't use a humidifier. I would spray the bin a couple times a day. Just get a nice hygrometer with a probe and an IR temp gun.

You have to be very careful handling arboreals. I would suggest getting a removable perch to take them out. Their bites HURT. If you try to uncoil them and tug on their tail it can tug at their spine and damage it. The less often you handle them, the better you are being to your snakes. I look at them as more "living art" than handleable "pet" snakes. If you like arboreal snakes you can handle... stick with carpets

They get stressed out very easily with handling. Green trees will prolapse if they get stressed out. Feed them SLOW! every 2.5 to 3 weeks, small prey. Don't overdo it with them. Emeralds either. Hope this helps!

Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
OwnerSince2010
That helps a lot So the book would be a good investment and isn't filled with information I could find for free online easily? Prolly going to order it next paycheck then

And thanks for the info on handling I knew it was a tad more dangerous to handle them but didn't realize the effect it had on the snake. I have a few others I can handle, so that shouldn't be an issue, probably would only take it out for a few pictures and during cage cleaning time to make sure I don't stress it out.

You said you wouldn't use humidifiers... Mind if I ask why? I work odd hours and two jobs, plus sometimes I'm not there to spray multiple times a day so figured a humidifier would be the safest answer. Is there a problem with them? Or just an expensive way to do something that's easily done by hand?

What thermostat do you use? Right now I have cheap ones working in my cages (Like $30 a piece) ReptiTemp R500 I think is the model, and they seem to work OK but I don't like that they don't have a digital reader and I have to use a thermometer with it...

Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #4
RachelSS
Go with a Ranco thermostat! They are so worth it!

I don't use a humidifier because they can build mold quick and I don't trust them. A good misting once in the morning and once at night should be fine. Since they're sensitive, over-doing it with the humidity can be fatal.

With the PVC piping, you can take a torch to it and brown it so it looks like wood and it makes for GREAT props for pictures!

And the book is a good investment. You can find similar info online but I call it my "chondro bible". It's 100% worth it to buy

Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #5
OwnerSince2010
I see, went ahead and ordered the book And nice tip on the PVC pipes, will definitely do this lol was trying to figure out a safe way to color them and that'll do perfectly

And the Ranco... Just googled a little bit and found a wiring guide... Is this necessary or only for a rack setup? Like is it as easy to use as the ones I'm using now?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #6
RachelSS
Yeah Ranco is easy to use. I've never had an issue with a Ranco thermostat, but I had a zoomed one I think that malfunctioned and melted a heatpad... so I tend to stay away from the cheaper ones :/

Old 03-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Cristie
we use 8 (soon to be 12) racho controlers on all your gages and racks never had a proplem and there nice couse if you diside to cool down certain snakes (corns, kings,milks ect.) they will do that aswell the ones we get have a cool or heat setting.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!