Is he dying? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
GreenTreePython13
Is he dying?

I just got a call a few minutes ago from the guy who is currently keeping my GTP, Cullen. He said that he's not looking too good. He's curled up on the floor (which he NEVER does) and isn't flicking his tongue or too alert. When he picked him up he holds on to him, but isn't active. They put him on the perch and he "slid off like a wet noodle." They tried putting him in a cool bath and it woke him up a little and he drank some, and the filled him with fluids. He's going to the vet tomorrow morning, but I don't want to wait until then to find out what I"m afraid I already know. This happened a few weeks ago to another one of his males, Zeke, and they found him hanging off the perch dead in a few days of his symptoms appearing. Does it sound like anything you know of? Any other suggestions? I'm kind of freaking out here.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Helenthereef
I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to advise, but I hope the vet visit was helpful - how's it going?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
GreenTreePython13
He didn't make the night. We did a necropsy and the only thing alarming was that he was FULL of fat, from his vent all the way past his heart and up his neck. His gall bladder was really full too. I'm wondering if he had a metabolic issue because he was on 2 (occasionally 3) hoppers every 2 or so weeks, which is actually borderline underfeeding him, if you take into account his size.

Here are some pictures

This is his gall bladder

for more info you can go here: http://www.arborealforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=931

Old 04-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Really sorry to hear he didn't make it. Was this related in any way to the other snake death your friend had?
I've only done one necropsy, but your photos don't look any different from what I have seen, so I'm not certain the fat is abnormal. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.
Again, sorry you lost him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!