Wish me luck - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
BalloonzForU
Wish me luck

It's 12am and I'm my way to the emergency room with one of my males, that I think may have over done it a little. Damn one track minds. He's prolapsed. I hope they don't have to amputate.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
perefalcon
prolapsed?

Old 01-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
weswright
That sucks! Hope all turns out well...

Old 01-13-2006, 01:08 AM   #4
groovygeckos
Could have probably tried a sugar-water soak before the emergency room. Or Prep-H.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:26 AM   #5
BalloonzForU
Dan,

I did do a sugar soak, and he soaked even more all the way to the emergency room, didn't know about Prep H...LOL. I've never had to deal with this before and I didn't want to do anything wrong. I also didn't want to wait too long, and have him castrated. You would want me to do that to you, would you? LOL

Well, the vet was great! He got it back in, but when he picked him up again to check on him, it popped back out. So they gassed the little guy and that took a while, cause he kept holding his breath...LOL He put one stitch in off to the side just to keep it in. I'll take him to my other vet in the morning and have her take a look at him. He's alert and happy to be home. Had to rearrange his tub thou. In case it pops back out, I placed a damp dish towel under, tamp paper towels then changed the moist hide to damp paper towel and removed his dry hide for tonight. This way if it does pop out, it won't dry up and cause more problems.

All I have to say is the $107 was well worth it, with me not knowing for sure what to do, or how long I should risk it being like that.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:29 AM   #6
BalloonzForU
Tonya,

Prolapsed, is when the internal organs are coming out thru the vent. In this case it was his little wiener...LOL. It woudn't go back in, and this can cause big problems if not taken care of.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:48 AM   #7
groovygeckos
Felicia, No I wouldnt want that for the little guy!

It is good since you didnt know, but if it happens the best thing is just keep it moist, clean, do soakS (more than one), and Prep-H does work Im told. Then if you dont see improvement, a vet would be great.

I just know if its an 'emergency', can be a pain in the wallet. And you should be able to hold out for non-emergency for that, depending.

Well, glad everything came out ( or went back in) OK. LOL

Old 01-13-2006, 02:50 AM   #8
groovygeckos
Um... not to me either! I misread that LOL

Old 01-13-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
BalloonzForU
Well, it was good. He pooped and it came out again....damn. I've got him soaking agian. At least it looks like the swelling is going down. I guess I'm staying up all night.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:55 AM   #10
groovygeckos
Ahhh, sorry to hear. Ide maybe call and see if the stitch will get in the way of it retracting(?)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!