Good bird - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
eatinmachine
Good bird

What is a good bird it will be a first I want an inexpensive to buy and keep like under 30 for bird I want one that stays in a small cage. I have a lot of experience with reptiles and have cats which is why I want a small bird then I can hang the cage. I have a small to medium wire cage I had got it for catnip(cats get it no matter what) I also want a bird that is not messy and doesn't throw its seed much and doesn't need a lot of extra to the diet I was thinking a pair of zebra finches. Any ideas would help and a link to care would help or just you telling care would help. Thanks josh

Old 01-17-2005, 02:07 PM   #2
Lucille
www.upatsix.com

All birds are messy, I have 14 and they take quite a bit of care. They should be in as large a cage as you can afford. Go to the above link and look around.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
eatinmachine
I know all are messy but aren't some less messy and I know they should have a large cage but I am restricted on space because I have a medium sized bedroom with a tarantula, 2 turtles, a tortoise, ball python, vine snake, gopher snake, corn snake, a small breeding colony of mice, and a bunch of lizards.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
Karen Hulvey
Lucilel is right, birds are messy. Of course the larger the bird, the bigger the mess.

Zebra finches are excellent but if you give them a nest you get more zebra finches. They tend to breed like mice. I always tell people to buy the largest cage they can afford for their birds. After all that's where they're gonna spend most of their time. It's cruel to the bird if they can hardly turn around while being kept in a small cage.

As for eating only seeds, yeah, zebras can exist on a seed only diet. However it's so fun to watch them eat and enjoy corn, mustard greens, peas, etc. that I wouldn't dream of not giving it to them.

Here's a picture of some zebra finches that I handraised.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!