White cap Pionus? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 04-05-2005, 02:13 AM   #1
weswright
White cap Pionus?

Just wanted to see if there are any other Pionus lovers here who want to chat. I have one white cap and some day hope to get a maxi. Well thats about it

oh and here are some photos

Old 04-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
mycurlylocks
I used to have a male white capped pionus. Lost him in a fire...He was the apple of my eye!
Looks like you have a female?
My little boy's name was Scooter, because of the way they ruffle their feathers and scoot along the perch. He thought he was a tough little guy! He was a scream in front of a mirror! Looked like a little bulldog with feathers.
I have been thinking about getting another white capped, but I still don't have the heart for it. Scooter has been dead for 11 years now and it's still too soon for me to get another one.
Candy

Old 04-06-2005, 01:55 AM   #3
weswright
I am truly sorry to here that But I think getting another would help Just out of curiosity how can you tell its female? All that I have read said they are not sexually dimorphic.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #4
mycurlylocks
You can usually tell the sex of most of the parrots by the head shape.
A flat broad shaped head is a male and a round topped head is a female. It's rare that this fails in the parrots.
The lady that I bought my blue and gold from didn't believe me. I told her the sex of each of her babies and sure enough the DNA confirmed I was right.
It's one of those things you learn through experience! Doesn't work for cockatiels or parakeets, things like that, but it does work for the parrots and the smaller birds in the parrot family like lovebirds, etc...
I couldn't tell for sure from your pictures. Looked like you have a female to me.

Old 04-06-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
weswright
very interesting theroy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!