HOw late before you worry? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
akaangela
HOw late before you worry?

I am sitting here waiting for my balls to arrive. They where suppose to be here by 1030am. How late do you give them before you start to get good and worried? I have NEVER recieved a package "on time" Doesn't matter if it was shipped fedex or DHL (the only ones I have gotten packages from).

I got the tracking number but don't want to be an alarmest. (sp?) I know they will get here (hopefully soon)

I usually take photos when my packages get here and I let my friend take my camera to their housesitting gig in Maui (how lucky can you get)?

How long before I should be calling Fedex?? It is ok to say cool your heels

Old 12-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
akaangela
OHH I got them I am SO excited. Tim Lofton packaged them wonderfully and they are even more beautiful than the photos showed I looked them over and have already named one (mask) due to her markings. The other one is a curious little girl and I will have to wail to see what her name will be

Fedex was only 30 minutes late so that wasn't bad

How long do you wait untill you get worried when a package doesn't arrive?

Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
hhmoore
depends on the package contents and the temperatures...and to a degree, what shipper. FedEx, I always have held for me to pickup (just a matter of convenience and preference - they have always been prompt). UPS can't seem to hold a package, always trying to deliver it someplace...but they are usually here by 10am. As long as I haven't seen the truck yet, I wait til 11am. My first call is to the seller so he/she knows the package has not arrived (I have, of course, been checking tracking, so I know if it says "out for delivery, delivered, delivery exception, or shows some delay in transit; and depending on the seller's response, I may not bother calling UPS myself). DHL has a bad track record with me, misdelivering MOST of my packages, so I watch tracking diligently - as soon as it indicates delivered, I am on the phone telling them they screwed up again

Old 12-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
KathyLove
I NEVER have anything delivered - I pick it up at the FedEx office. Much safer and less likely to get lost or delayed that way. I try to convince my customers to do the same.

The morning after I ship anything, I start tracking it / them as soon as I wake up. As soon as it says the package has been delivered or is awaiting pick up, I email the customer to make sure they know, and to reiterate basic care (FAQ) to get them started. If I get a notice or see anything indicating it was left at the door (even though I require a sig - you know how that works!) or not deliverable, I CALL the customer and / or FedEx to see what is going on. If FedEx is called about a problem early enough, they can often fix it and redeliver, or at least keep the package at reasonable temps until redelivery.

Shipping can be dangerous if not followed up on properly, especially in very hot or cold temps. And with email it is so easy and cheap to track what is going on, that I believe it is a lack of customer service to NOT follow up.

If I am the customer though, I don't wait for the shipper to follow up. I want to track it myself and know what is happening with my shipment.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #5
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyLove

If I am the customer though, I don't wait for the shipper to follow up. I want to track it myself and know what is happening with my shipment.

Im paranoid through the whole process... im constantly on fedex/ups's butts when i think something is taking longer than it should.... im one of those crazy wait at the door... LITERALLY... until it shows up types...

Old 12-19-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
KathyLove
It is much better to be paranoid about shipping than to leave it to chance. Being paranoid is what gets your animals delivered alive when somebody goofs up!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Im paranoid through the whole process... im constantly on fedex/ups's butts when i think something is taking longer than it should.... im one of those crazy wait at the door... LITERALLY... until it shows up types...

You are not alone. AND..I leave the door wide open (window screen door) so that I can see them the moment they step on the porch...they don't get the opportunity to claim that "no one was home."

Old 12-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyLove
It is much better to be paranoid about shipping than to leave it to chance. Being paranoid is what gets your animals delivered alive when somebody goofs up!

LOL yes.... and... sometimes, it really is inevitable. I once had a box of critters from a friend end up in Florida for a night. a girl at fedex was kind enough to not only check on the animals to be sure they were okay, but to actually take time from her schedule to go out and get more heat packs and add them to the box. Sometimes... people are just TOO cool!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
John E Dove
I worry from the time I get the tracking number till they feed for the first time regardless of what it is.
I won't even make a purchase between November 1 and April 1 anymore for fear something will end up lost in transit for a day or two during freezing weather.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Quote:
How long do you wait untill you get worried when a package doesn't arrive?
Track it and get worried if it says "exception"; if it says on the truck for delivery you are presumably in good shape.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!