Depressed Budgie? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 05-23-2004, 11:24 PM   #1
ronlina
Unhappy Depressed Budgie?

My mother, one fateful day brought home a cute, blue parakeet from the local pet store here. At furst all was well and she was cared for daily, we got to let her out every day and she seemed happy enough.

Well it's been about 6 or 7 months since then and our now-full grown parakeet seems just depressed and untrusting of people, as she rarely gets let out of her cage (unless I do it because my mom isn't always home) and I'm the only one to take care of her - although she is not my bird! I feel really bad for her, she seems so miserable and her beak even seems discoloured. (brownish - i don't even know if this is normal or not) I was told that she needs more than just bird seed to eat, but I don't know what to do. I really want to have the time to care for this bird, and with the little time I have at least I want to do it somewhat better than she's been getting.

Anyone know much about parakeets or know of a (good) website about them?

Old 07-17-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
gypsykitten
Maybe you could try giving your bird some new toys every so often to keep her interested. Also leave music or the T.V. on when you are gone so she doesn't feel so alone. Budgies are very social, so without much companionship she may become depressed. Most budgies I've worked with love fresh fruits and vegetables. Try a dethawed frozen veggie mix with a grape or banana bit chopped up in it. Experiment with other foods. I even share a little of my lunch.(No caffeine, chocolate, rhubarb,or avacado to be safe.)They also like millet spray. Let me know if any of this helps.

Old 08-24-2004, 02:18 AM   #3
CyCoMom
Is the brown on her 'beak' the area surrounding her nostrils (called a cere)? If so that is normal for female parakeets who are ready to breed. If there are changes on the actual beak or the skin next to the beak that looks brown and lumpy then she has something called scaley face which is a parasite. There are some pet store remedies that might help mild cases however the quickest and safest treatment is prescribed by a vet.

Parakeets diet in the wild happens to be dry seeds. So a parakeet on an all seed diet isn't as bad as a macaw on an all seed diet. However it is best if you try and get her to eat other things. The most readily accepted food would be leafy greens. I would weave this through the cage bars next to an upper perch. At first she might be afraid of it but over time she just might have a taste.

If you can spend a couple of hours a day with the bird you'll be doing fine. Spending time doesn't always have to be you touching the bird either. You can hang out near it and do homework or read to the bird .

Donna

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!