nile taming - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
Kagome100
nile taming

Ok well i got me a nile that is 8 months old. I bought him online from a breeder and picked him up at a reptile show that weekend. They told me he was 8 months and was not bad at all. Well... ok i took his word and got him, well the nile does not really care to much to be picked up, he will tail whip and hissssss while in the tank. But once you pick him up he calms donw a little than if you try to move some he will start trying to get out of your hand. He did nip my finger today he was trying to get away and i did not want to drop him.

I want to tame him down alot more than what he is, and well i heard sitting in the bathtub with him should help. Well is this true and how long should i do this for?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
TailsWithScales
Quoting myself
Quote:
So lets start with that word "tame" and why that's a dangerous word to use in ANY classified ad. The reason is monitors are just like a human being in that their personalities can and do change with ownership. Large species even more so because they usually do not like change. Just because an animal is calm or "tame" with the current owner DOES NOT mean it will be that way when you get it. I've purchased many many monitors who have claimed the animal to be "tame" and even "dog tame" and when I receive the animal it's anything but. And normally, with time and acclimation it doesn't change. My advice is this when looking to buy a "tame" varanid. Take that word with a grain of salt and toss it over your should. I'm not saying don't believe the person who's selling it but DO NOT expect that the animal you're getting will be that way with you. Potentially ever. Another thing that can be done is if the seller is so confident their animal is tame then ask for a guarantee on that. Meaning if the animal isn't tame after acclimation then ask for some of your money back or to send the animal back. I'm willing to bet the animal will not be so "tame" anymore. This is regardless of species.
Honestly for "taming" you picked the absolute wrong species to work with as most niloticus NEVER calm down especially once they start hitting sexual maturity.

Also there is only ONE breeder in the US for niles and his just hatched so whoever sold you that animal more then likely lied and I strongly suggest you ask for proof or part of your money pack if you paid CBB pricing on a wild caught or farmed animal.

Honestly you need to let your monitor acclimate at least a month before you even touch it let alone attempt to "tame" it. For goodness snakes let the poor animal de-stress and get used to it's new home before you start handling it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!