Gravid Leo Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
mike hulme
Question Gravid Leo Question

One of my females is gravid for the first time, and I first noticed this six days ago. Her abdomen is well rounded and the eggs are a fairly large size. She is eating well and can still climb the viv walls, but I would like to know how long it is normally before she lays her clutch or, being pessimistic, is she in danger of becoming eggbound and do I need to go to the Vet again?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 05-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
A_Kendergirl
She may have a few days to go still. I've noticed my girls get a little more sluggish, stop eating, and generally look uncomfortable a day or two before they lay. Once the digging has begun in earnest, you'll know it's soon. Just make sure you've got a nice box of humid egg laying material (like vermiculite or bed-a-beast) for her, and hopefully she'll lay with no problems. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
mike hulme
Thanks for that! I just wanted some reassurance that I wasn't doing anything wrongly.

Mike

Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #4
mike hulme
Well, nine days have passed, and she still shows no signs of wanting to deposit her eggs. She is eating and defecating normally, and is quite lively still. I have increased the levels of calcium supplements and offered an occasional waxworm which she eats. How long (on average) do leos stay gravid for? I also have another albino female who is now gravid, so any information would be helpful to say the least. The incubator has been set up for a week, so I am now getting impatient.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 06-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Jeremy Letkey
Mike, from the time of copulation till eggs are laid is on average 4 weeks. Could be less could be more but that is the average.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
420Geckos
This is my first season as well and so far I've learned patience is the key. My first clutch was six weeks from the initial breeding. The eggs were visible for like four weeks. I got so impatient, but she finally laid them and has laid a clutch every couple of weeks since. Don't worry, you'll be rewarded for your patience.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
mike hulme
Update

Well, the female laid her two eggs sometime this morning. I have put them in the incubator; thermostat set at 85 degrees F. The eggs appear firm and healthy...

However, in the viv, but not in the laying box, I( found what appears to be a third egg, very much dried up, and with vermiculite stuck to one end of it. I thought leos laid eggs in pairs, but there is no sign of a fourth egg. Anyone have an idea what is going on here?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 07-16-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
Laur5678ider
Um, maybe it was poop?!? was it brown>??

Old 07-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
Laur5678ider
undefinedHmm.... I got nothin, maybe she is eggbound, not to scare you, cause it scares me! I have my happy one and only leo bred with my friends male.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #10
Laur5678ider
Question I'm new to this place

Hey do you know what a normal male, and a hi yellow female can make???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!