baby snakes and small enclosures - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
creatism123
baby snakes and small enclosures

I have been at this awhile and still do not get a few things. Right now the most pressing one is probly one of those if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it did make a. sound questions.

big cages freak babies out and stress them, which equals poor eater possible death right. well how in the heck do they survive in the wild then. specifically i am talking about anything other than a ball python. they live in caves and burrows in the wild. which is similar to the shoe boxes we keep them in. but like carpets ratsnakes, gtps. etc.

just something i've been thinking on lately

Old 04-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
lovin2act
I have also pondered this once or twice myself haha! But like most would say, its different when the snake is in captivity than in the wild and having to deal with a gigantic moving thing (us humans) that picks them up and walks by their little world everyday.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
cahrens
I personally think it's a bunch of crap that a snakes enclosure can be too big. Just give them a hide or 2 and they're fine.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
MDC_Ophiuchus
I think it largely depends on the species of snake.

Ball Pythons for instance, as a species do inhabit a large distribution within their native Africa. However, these snakes spend much of their time hiding in a burrow or a termite mound, unless they're hunting for food or breeding. For 90% of the time, they may dwell in an area the size of a few football fields.

However, trying to replicate this in captivity is difficult, even in a 75 gallon tank. How many of you offer a naturalistic environment complete with an athuentic termite mound to your BPs? These burrows they dwell in are completely dark & and may go underground for several feet.....and we give them an upside-down shoebox or a half-log from the LPS on top of a couple inches of aspen shavings. Nevermind, most newbies can't get the temps right.

My point is that some snakes don't utilize wide open spaces on a regular basis, and if not given proper hiding opportunities, it may affect their behvaior (and appetite).

Old 05-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
redcircle_os
Quote:
Originally Posted by creatism123 View Post
I have been at this awhile and still do not get a few things. Right now the most pressing one is probly one of those if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it did make a. sound questions.

big cages freak babies out and stress them, which equals poor eater possible death right. well how in the heck do they survive in the wild then. specifically i am talking about anything other than a ball python. they live in caves and burrows in the wild. which is similar to the shoe boxes we keep them in. but like carpets ratsnakes, gtps. etc.

just something i've been thinking on lately
maybe because in captivity its an ENCLOSED/CONFINED wide space. whereas in nature its an OPEN wide space so no stress. I think its the feel of being trapped.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!