My Vet is funny - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
RedQuake
My Vet is funny

I took my kittens in for their first set of shots and while there i asked my vet about any problems i might have if these two rascals get into my gecko room and in contact with materials related to my geckos.

Now i was referring to any health issues that would affect the kittens (saminila sp? for example) and his responce was:

"your biggest problem would be whether or not your geckos survived".

I guess i should have been more specific cause all of my tanks have very secure tops. I was thinking about the materials that have come into contact with the geckos (no longer used hides, feeding bowls etc.)and have all been thoroughly cleaned but might still pose a threat......

He went on about different bacteria and how animals can get sick. He also said an ounce of prevention saves alot of trouble down the road, thus making sure the cats can't get into that room would be best. I completely agree but from experience a cat will get into whereever they want to go and having two of them is just doubling the chance LOL.

Its not so much myself i'm concerned with in keeping up the *Closed Door* rule, the room is where the fuse box is so if anyone else has to go in there it'll be then that i worry LOL.

I would think that keeping them out of that room might just make them want to go in there more.....upstairs is offlimits to my dog but he insists on sneaking up there when no one is looking. Since the kittens are still very young i think i'll introduce them to the room and make sure they understand that the tanks are offlimits and the geckos aren't toys and then make sure they have limited/supervised access hehe.

Red

Old 06-05-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
StinaUIUC
I wouldn't worry about it too much...my leos are all in my room...two tanks happen to be within easy reach of the other animals (2 dogs and a cat), though not easily knocked over or gotten into or anything. None of the animals have gotten ill, and the dogs and cat don't even pay ANY attention to the leos AT ALL. They just don't move enough to be interesting. It wouldn't hurt to keep the other animals out of the "gecko room," but I wouldn't worry too much about them getting in. That's just my opinion.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #3
Xelda
Hi Red,

Wow, you have 17 now?!?! That's incredible. I think the last time I heard from you, you only had 7 or 8 (same as me) plus the crested. Are you still keeping them in tanks? What have you acquired since I laste saw you?

I'm lucky that my cat has no interest whatsoever in my leos. I have a couple of leos who will see my cat through the glass and then try to stalk him because they're hungry. And there my cat is, completely oblivious because all he wants is for me to give him attention.

Old 06-05-2004, 10:57 PM   #4
RedQuake
Thanks StinaUIUC, I feel better We haven't had a cat around for many years now and the thought of losing either the cats or the geckos just freaks me.

Xelda, Well lets see. I have two more cresteds making 3 total. They were at Petsmart and they didn't want them (to high end and not selling so i got them 1/2 price). Its a 1.1 pair. Then i went back up to the leo breeder i deal with and bought two of her older breeders plus two others (non breeders) i couldn't resist hehehe. Then i went to the April Toronto Reptile Expo and picked up two female aft's and another female leo i named Coco cause she's soooooooooo dark. It was my dad who was impressed by her and convinced me to buy her......

So now i have 12 leos (2.10), three cresteds (1.2) and two aft's. I now have to male aft's on the way hehehe.......will be picking them up at the June reptile expo. I am sooooooooooo excited. I absolutely LOVE them. I can handle both of my females and they just curl up and sit there. I'm amazed by them. I still want an stripe amel pair.

I'll be breeding next year/season so i'll have alot more hehehe. I've rearranged my gecko room and can now house many more geckos LOL. Yes i use tanks for all of my geckos. My aft's are still so tiny that even with a small tank they seemed to have to much space to get lost in. So i put two hatchling containers inside one of my larger tanks and they seem to be doing great. Tala my striped girl seems to be a master of escape. I have found her out of the container a few times LOL Now it has a top

I'll be posting pics when i get the new males and any others i bring home hehehe......once i figure out how to

Red

Old 06-06-2004, 01:50 AM   #5
brianskibinski
I too have acat which enjoys coming in the bedroom (where some of the leos are kept). He tends to get naughty and jump on their cages so a quick spray with the spray bottle and a firm no worked well. I've never had any health problems between them and the vet here said not to worry about it as long as there's not direct contact. I still try to keep him away from the leos but I think he might like them as much as me hehe . oh well. Just my $.02

Old 06-06-2004, 11:11 AM   #6
RedQuake
I appreciate your $.02 hehehe. I have been using the water spray bottle for a while now. We usually allow the kittens free in the family room where the TV and all of my fathers fish tanks are. (we keep them in a very large multi leveled cage at night and when no one is around as they are still very tiny and protected from our larger dog. He's losing his sight and tends to snap at things he bumps into or that jump on him ie. kittens LOL)

Anyways, they discovered the curtains and screens on the windows so the bottle has come in very handy hehe. For the most part they just chase eachother around and are pretty well behaved.

Currently i don't allow anyone in the gecko room. Its a disaster in here...i recently moved all of the furniture (again) and am trying to get all of my art, computer stuff organized. I've also got extra tanks everywhere hehe. I have enough stuff to fill a house and well it doesn't all fit well in my parents basement I'm off work today so its going to be a cleaning day hehehe...

For now at least i don't have anything to worry about.

Red

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!