would you ship in 30 degree high and 10 degree low?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
allreptiles1966
Question would you ship in 30 degree high and 10 degree low??

hello
please tell me your opinion on shipping from ny to penn in this weather of 30 degrees as a high and 10 degrees low?? please,i dont want beardies to suffer.
i have never shipped when this cold!shipped hindreds of beardies but not winter,first time thinking of doing it.
thank you!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
mmdragons
No! thats low! I don't ship or want dragons to be shipped to me if my weather or theirs depending on the transaction if it's below 45 and even then I am worried. If their is a day in the next couple of days thats is warmest out of the week ship then. Make sure you use enough heat packs and an insulated box though.
hope this helps
Maxwell.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
allreptiles1966
i do have all the proper materials.but usually all my shipping is in the sping to summer.
i think i will just skip and refund her. it's only gonna get colder here in upstate ny.
thanks for your input.
rich

Old 12-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Shadera
I'm not a beardie person, but I wouldn't ship anything alive in temps that low, unless it was via airline and even then it'd be iffy.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
allreptiles1966
i refunded her money and took all my ads down.
thank you

Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
hhmoore
Sorry for the obvious question...but if you weren't prepared to ship, why advertise and take payment?
There will be days that are safe to ship, if you do have the proper supplies. Heck, if you've got payment, and got the stuff, tonight's low is forecast for the low 30s.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
i refunded her money and took all my ads down.
thank you
That's what I get for stopping to check the forecast before posting, lol.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
allreptiles1966
she does not want to ship today! only wednesday for thursday delivery and it will only be 10 degrees.
i do have everything thats needed,about for different shipping bosex from the supplier. this is not my first ship.just at that cold!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
hhmoore
If the Wed for Thurs delivery is set in stone (not just this week), a full refund now was probably the best choice...unless both of you are willing to have you hold the animal til warmer weather (sometimes, that is a reasonable option to consider). This time of year, good communication & some flexibility are pretty much requirements for shipping in this neck of the woods.
(Depending on where in PA, meeting partway or delivery to a Northwestern Berks or White Plains show are options, too...though, realistically, it's cheaper to ship to PA than drive)

Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Clay Davenport
Shipping at 10 degrees is a huge risk. I'd be afraid the number of heat packs required to bring it to a safe temp would start depleting the oxygen in the box.
I continue to advertise through the winter myself, but when the temps are like that any sale is made with the full understanding that I will ship when the temperature allows, whether it be a week or two months. If the buyer doesn't find that acceptable, I don't make the sale.

Being in NC though we usually have a few days a month during winter get up into the 40s or even the 60s on rare occasions. Last year though we had an extended cold spell and one of my customers had to wait 6 weeks on delivery.

I set my limit on the lows at 35 providing it will be at least in the mid 40s for the highs. That's somewhat lower than many people will go, but I've had no problems at those temps. When the highs are below freezing though, shipping is out of the question for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!