This is how my year is starting.... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
mxracer4life
Thanks!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
akaangela
OMG, my first thought was "she is going blow" Wouldn't you like a back rub if you where caring that many babies around???? I am not surprised her temp is higher all those little wiggling ones and the strain it is putting on her body. Could it also mean she is close to having them? I know in some animals an elevated temp is a sure sign of labor.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
mxracer4life
Boas tend to have a higher internal temp when they are pregnant, now I have seen that temp be on average between 86-88 as a consistent temp, even with my female last year that had a big litter, her temp in the last week averaged about 87. It might mean she is close, she is over 100 days, so maybe it is, I don't have the day exact, but the end of Feb should be it. We will see.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
AbsoluteApril
lookin' great Jeremy, Congrats!! I hope your super proves out too, that would be awesome. A litter of all hypos maybe with some getting mom's circle back pattern... sweeeet.

I've heard female's temps go up around the last week or so but I don't know if that's true. Sometimes if you feed a boa near the due date they'll drop the young when they try to go to the bathroom (I don't feed during the last 4 weeks) but since it sounds like she's already over 100 days, you should be fine. Can't wait to see what she gives you! (I'm going to guess 36 babies and 4 slugs, let's see if I am psychic LOL)

Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
mxracer4life
She was acting weird last night. About the feeding: My information is not solely based off one book or person, more of a micture of all and what works for me. But what I have found, offering a half the size as normal prey item every 2-3 weeks to a prego female can sometimes help give them the energy needed AND I have also found that in the last days/weeks of prego, if a female isn't eating, and then eats in the last week or so, its usually a sign she is about to have them. Like for instance, my female, before she was prego, she weighed 28lbs and is just shy of 8ft, a slown grown female only been bred once untill now, would take eighter a jumbo rat or a small rabbit, I usually alternate between them, so now I am just offering her a medium rat. She is normally a pig, and eats once every 10 days, now that she is prego, she has been eating about once a month. But I do know the risk of premature birth, so I only feed her if she lets me know she is hungry, and she has her ways.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
HopingForBabies
That is a BIG girl! Best of luck.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:38 PM   #17
crotalusadamanteus
Good luck! Although it looks like you won't be needing it. LOL She looks like she's gonna have a real nice litter alright.

April makes a good point about the feeding. I've read more then once about Boa popping a few preemies out while defecating. Not saying don't feed her. It helps them bounce back immensely. But it can be a risk the last month of gestation. Just FYI.

I'm gonna go ahead and predict she'll drop 35+ babies, but not before you have to go. It's just how those things work.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
mxracer4life
I am aware of the risk. I am still undecided on how I feel about it. I know there are mixed feelings about it. It's one of thise thing where I know what the drawbacks are, but then again she was starvin. I have had her for quite some time and she lets me know when she is hungry - its weird, we are close, lol. I appreciate all recommendations and believe me, I do not just ignore them, I take them all into consideration.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #19
Pythonbreeder99
Has she dropped them yet?? I'm guessing 40+ babies

Old 03-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
mxracer4life
She hasn't yet. She is moving all around the cage and showing signs of it getting close. Her breathing is getting more intense, like she is really uncomfortable. I have to go out of town this weekend, as luck would have it you know she will be having them while I am gone, lol. I have my brother on call to shoot over to my house if my wife finds any little ones. I will post pics and let all fo you know, believe me. I lost my records when we moved, so I am guessing when she is do, I projected by end of Feb, but obviously was wrong. I have all my records saved on computer now, but still doesn't help me now!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!