Berber Skink rescue help, half dead! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Camille
Berber Skink rescue help, half dead!

Dunno if anyone can help me out but here it goes.There had been these Berber skinks in a pet shop i had seen and everytime i went there they were sicker and sicker. Yesterday, i came in there and they were half dead. One of em is in extremely bad shape and hardly moves.The pet shop surrendered them to me for free. I know about they usual care but i need help and advice on what i should do for them now.i know one isnt eating.Ive gotten an overhead heatlight with a red bulb. I have a water dish with some Similac in it to try to get them to drink.There on papertowel as well with temp on the basking spot of 99.4 F) and i had to force feed around 0.8 cc's similac to the female with a seringe. She just let me open her mouth like nothing, shes very weak. The male looks fine now eccept for one thing. His breathing. Yesterday it seemed like he had hiccups of something and i saw him do something kinda like sighing today. His breathing seems like large breaths. I also gave them some fancyfeast cat food and ground some collard greens,grapes and mango together and mixed it with the cat food. but i dont think theill eat it just yet. There in my closet nice and quiet and dark.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Camille
Just thought id let you know that the female died last night. Im kinda relieved, because she was in such a sad shape she had to be suffering.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
coyote
So, the male is still alive and on the mend?

Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Camille
He seems on the mend. He adleast tripled his stomachs width and it seems like theres actualy fat in his tail now but his breathing worries me. He might have RI or flukes(lungworm) Im going to bring in a fecal sample to school and were going to check it out with a fecal float and the baerman technique(Im taking a vet tech course so i have access to all these things) My class came to my house yesterday with my teacher to weigh the reptiles and the male skink was only 38g

Old 02-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #5
Camille
O.k another update. My teacher just did a fecal float on Orion for me(the sink) and he is INFESTED with parasitic eggs. The ones he has look like oswaldcruzia spp.(hookworm) BUT their nuclei arent all bunched up together like the usual hook. Were trying to find out if their just getting ready to seperate or if its another type of ova. Heres what my teacher noted for it : Eggs were medium in size, clear cytoplasm with very distinct, round nuclei 3-4 in each egg. I wasnt very suprised since all Berbers are wild caught(or most anyways) since their extremely hard to breed. We didnt find any flukes but one of the ova looked like the typical hookworm egg, the others looked like i explained.. Well try another one tomorrow probably if Orion passes again. Im going to have to do a "fenbenazol party" for the gang since tiko has hook for sure(before i got the skink).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!