IATA LAR & Dalta Dash - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
bleeding_sarcasm
IATA LAR & Dalta Dash

I am over dealing with couriers like UPS, FedEx, and DHL, Instead I am looking into shipping with Delta Dash. On their site it says that packaging must conform to IATA Live Animal Regulations, which, apparently you can buy a book on for $130, something I am not really interested in.

I am wondering if anyone knows what they are [and can give me an overview] or, knows where I can find information on the subject.

Also if anyone can give me tips and info on shipping with delta, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
hhmoore
A lot of the rules that are referred to are for shipping mammals and birds.
Standard shipping practices for nonvenomous reptiles are acceptable for Delta - including the required labeling of the package.
The process itself is very simple - I was done within 2.5 weeks, and it would have been sooner if I had been available during the "inspector's" business hours.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
bcherps
I have been a delta dash only shipper for several years now, since all the truck couriers cannot/willnot guarantee safe arrival of perishables, and do not allow you to insure live animals.

Deltas shipping is great but most smaller shipments will run you 80-100 each.
Although they didn't even bat an eyelash when I asked to insure a package for 50 grand while shipping a buddies daytona packages for him.

I'm sure a fedex/ups driver would have "lost" the box and still be on vacation.

Most of the IATA stuff you can find by google-ing around. For sending non-venomous the packaging is standard- Snake in a bag(cups the tops can pop even if taped), in a styro box that is cardboard wrapped. Newspaper or air pillows for protection against hitting the side of the box if dropped or jostled during take off. Technically you cannot use heat packs anymore(post 9/11) becuase the contents are an oxidizer, however, I have had mine inspected many times by the screeners when verifying that I am shipping reptiles, and when I tell them it is a commercial heat pack made for animal shipping they wave it through no problems, and it doesn't set of the explosives sensor machine.

Delta has always been more willing to work with me or help me (to get my money) then fedex ever was.

thanks
ben cole

Old 10-01-2007, 12:45 AM   #4
Karma Kritters
I am still checking into this but I was just told by Delta that I can no longer ship in a styro lined cardboard box for non venomous. They are saying I have to use a rigid container such as an igloo cooler or tuperware container inside of a cardboard box. I am hoping the guy behind the counter was wrong but he was dead set and would not let me ship my package out despite the fact he knows I ship and recieve on a regular basis.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #5
hhmoore
2nd try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma Kritters
I am still checking into this but I was just told by Delta that I can no longer ship in a styro lined cardboard box for non venomous. They are saying I have to use a rigid container such as an igloo cooler or tuperware container inside of a cardboard box. I am hoping the guy behind the counter was wrong but he was dead set and would not let me ship my package out despite the fact he knows I ship and recieve on a regular basis.
Interesting - I am shipping via Delta Dash Tuesday morning...if that is true, it will mean a delay (and I will be getting getting up at an ungodly hour for no reason). I'll report back onwhat happens.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
bleeding_sarcasm
Thanks everyone for all the great information. I gave the woman I was talking to a rundown of my packaging, and she said that was acceptable. I use the molded 1 1/2" styro boxes from uline, the cardboard on the outside alone has a 200# crush test rating. Inside I use deli cups, and fill the whole thing up with packing peanuts. Here is a pic.

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_...+Shipping+Kits

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!