The BOI will be coming to an end on 02-02-2020 - Page 25 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #241
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanAFSOC View Post
I'll be deleting Fauna from the tabs on my computer.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:42 PM   #242
DLenaRuth999s
Goodbye

All this opinion from a person who has never supported this site. Jerk.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:47 PM   #243
WebSlave
Quote:
Sounds like you're burnt out and bitter that this site isn't more profitable. I read through most of this thread and I'm getting the impression you're using the BOI as ransom to get more contributing members. Either way, this is a poor decision logically, financially, and morally. You clearly no longer care about helping members of this community as you have in the past. You clearly aren't well versed in website management either as literally thousands, or millions, of forums online are profitable without subscriptions.
I found this site, and many others rather useful in the past. You're just coming across very jaded and frankly, there are now better avenues for those of us in the hobby to use. I'll be deleting Fauna from the tabs on my computer. Enjoy your retirement; you clearly need it.
Thank you for taking the time to make your 12th post in the nearly 7 years you have been a member here. And seriously, I do admire your frugalness in never having felt the urge to spend a single dime to support what this site has tried to provide you *for free* over those years.

I am glad you have more rewarding places to spend your time and offer your valuable support for. I am sure all of the notable benefits and support this site has received from your membership here will be sorely missed.

Hopefully those other places you speak of will find your membership equally as rewarding. They sure will be fortunate to have your presence.

And lastly, thank you for the supporting evidence that I am making the right choice. THAT is definitely appreciated.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:57 PM   #244
Insomniac101
Quote:
You clearly no longer care about helping members of this community as you have in the past.
What a load of horse!

Maybe he no longer cares to have all of the liability that a forum like the BOI inherently brings with it.

Maybe he's tired of the threatening emails and messages he gets from people, demanding that certain BOI posts be removed, "or else . . ."

Maybe he's tired of dwindling financial support from the reptile community. So many people expect everything to be free, and then label someone an "extortionist" if they dare ask for contributions.

I'm not happy that the BOI is coming to an end. I've been a Contributing member here for years. But a few of us can't do it alone. Why don't YOU help out, and buy a membership?

Maybe it's just easier to criticize the decision; you're not the one who could be sued.

Old 08-21-2019, 03:03 AM   #245
Lucille
Quote:
I'll be deleting Fauna
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. You do sound like one of those soft little do-nothing critics who have a sense of entitlement but somehow were never taught either responsibility or commitment at home.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #246
JColt
Quote:
Horse Deleted
Bye Felica!

Old 08-25-2019, 02:29 AM   #247
LauraB
Quote:
Either way, this is a poor decision logically, financially, and morally. You clearly no longer care about helping members of this community as you have in the past. You clearly aren't well versed in website management either as literally thousands, or millions, of forums online are profitable without subscriptions.
Who the f are you to make such blatantly ignorant and offensive statements? Oh yeah, your 9 posts in 7 years entitles you. What a great contribution you have made here! You clearly have NEVER cared about helping members of this community, and it's highly unlikely you have website management skills or you would not make such a moronic statement. In all my years here, I don't believe I have ever been so incensed by such a stupid, useless post or an individual.
However, thanks to Rich's response I am now laughing at that buffoon. Good riddance.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #248
eldiablokid
Every forum that I am on requires a fee/membership for enhanced features, if you're to cheap to spend 25 bucks to be a member here, maybe you shouldn't own any reptiles.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #249
eldiablokid
One more thing, now that Facebook has stopped all animal sales, I would imagine that the sites like Fauna Classifieds and others will see a major increase in numbers. Actually I think that is a good thing, I will continue to be a member here and other forums.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:47 AM   #250
WebSlave
Maybe I need to answer the comments brought up by Mr. Dean point by point. It appears that some people are just skimming through this thread without bothering to actually read and understand all the pertinent details.

Quote:
Sounds like you're burnt out and bitter that this site isn't more profitable.
Perhaps it does sound like that. But I guess "disappointment" in the industry/hobby I had hopes the BOI would server is more like it. "Profit" doesn't have all that much to do with it. I really don't NEED the money this site brings in. It does provide some nice pocket change while I am retired, but I certainly wouldn't starve if I had to cut it loose. Point of this matter is that it is what that financial support actually means along with just the raw support of participation and visitation by the membership in general. How else do you rate "support" for a website besides financially and traffic statistics? That is what I am looking at, and finding it lacking. I fell that people are telling me that they don't really need the BOI. Well, honestly, I sure as heck don't need it. So why should I bother with keeping that monkey on my back?

I hear some people claim that the BOI has helped quite a few people come to a satisfactory resolution to the problems they came here about. Some say they got money back that they probably would not have been able to recover any other way. Some people claim that others have saved a lot of money by becoming aware of the potential negative aspects of engaging in a transaction they were considering. If that is the case, was this all expected to be provided forever, for free? Even discounting those people who have "profited" from the help that the BOI already provided to them, the impression that lack of support gives me is that most people do not expect that the BOI will ever be able to help them. Or is this looked at as a resource that most people expect will always be here, and they can just come to utilize it AS NEEDED and WHEN NEEDED for nothing more than the cost of just logging in and posting their issue? Let the support needed to keep it available simply come from someone else, instead?

Well sorry, but it appears that we have run out of enough "someone elses".

Quote:
I read through most of this thread and I'm getting the impression you're using the BOI as ransom to get more contributing members.
"Ransom"? Hardly. But maybe that word means something different to you than it does to me.

I have sounded this alarm at least twice before. Once in 2005 and again in 2009. There might have been more. But I believe the tune has always been the same. That the BOI cannot continue unless it has the support, both financially and via the power that a large number of people providing a substantial amount a peer pressure that is needed to catch the attention of people engaging in business practices that could be impacted by such a large number of members of this industry/hobby watching closely how they are engaging in business. If you choose to interpret this warning as a "ransom", then be my guest. On 02-02-2020 the BOI is going away, regardless of whatever it is you believe is the "ransom" being demanded. If you want to think of this as being that the "ransom" was not paid, then by all means, be my guest.

Quote:
Either way, this is a poor decision logically, financially, and morally.
I bow down to your higher intellect and greater experience in this field. So please explain to me how you would handle this situation if you were in my shoes. What is it about the facts and details that got us to where I believe we are right now that you do not agree with? You DID read this thread, didn't you?

Quote:
You clearly no longer care about helping members of this community as you have in the past.
So if all of the evidence clearly indicates that the majority of the membership no longer "cares" about supporting this site in general, and the BOI specifically, then I am still beholden to keep up "helping members" (I presume with the BOI), regardless? Through thick and thin? Well "mostly thin", anyway? Regardless of the cost, regardless of the risk, regardless of the headaches and work involved, I am supposed to continue on here with the BOI? Regardless of the indisputable fact that MANY former members have clearly shown that they "no longer care"?

So, apparently I am being contrary to the intent of what you are implying, but agreeing with the letter of your claim, yes, I no longer care to be carrying the burden of my own support of the BOI when appreciation and support is so obviously lacking. I presume you are a better man than me since you find fault with this, and apparently feel you would be able to carry the baton longer and more ably than I can. But that isn't proven, now is it?

Quote:
You clearly aren't well versed in website management either as literally thousands, or millions, of forums online are profitable without subscriptions.
I guess it depends on how you define "profitable". Making more than expenses, sure, that is rather easy to do. Well, at least it used to be. Not quite the case any longer, if you have tried. And even back when this was comparatively easy to do, that was unless those expenses might include attorney fees defending against one or more lawsuits. Then that changes the equation quite a bit, does it not? Without the BOI, then the equation becomes much more favorable, and is exactly the reason I have my finger on the trigger to kill the BOI. The support for this site, with the potential risk of expenses because I will refuse to delete threads and posts authored by a third party that some irate party finds objectionable enough to file a lawsuit over, no longer exists. And perhaps it never really existed to the extent that I should have been cognizant of the financial jeopardy I faced. But I had a thriving reptile breeding business through most of this site's life, that I had funds readily available for if such an event were come to pass. That is no more. So the equation changed, and the "answer" is just not reasonably sustainable any longer. Perhaps I have been stupid for years thinking that this hobby/industry would have rallied around me to help me with the attorney fees arising from my standing fast defending their ability to post their opinions and facts about a situation on the BOI without worrying about my folding under the pressure of a threatened lawsuit and removing their statements. I thought that was valuable to people. Apparently I was in error. Sure, some would have. But obviously most wouldn't. That is abundantly clear to me now. So I am just bowing out of the implied and threatened responsibility that running the BOI entails.

Quote:
I found this site, and many others rather useful in the past.
But not enough to help support, it seems. Not belittling you for that, it is what it is. And apparently a lot of the 19,272 currently registered members feel the same. Only just over 2,000 of which even bother to check in by logging in every day, too. So you are not alone in the category you reside in in relation to supporting this site. Which, again, is exactly why we are where we are right now. The BOI does not have the lifeblood it needs to survive. If someone(s) want to find fault with me about this, then have at it. It won't change a thing at this point.

Quote:
You're just coming across very jaded and frankly, there are now better avenues for those of us in the hobby to use.
"Jaded", eh? Well let's look at the official definition of that word.
Quote:
Definition of jaded

1 : fatigued by overwork : exhausted (ie: a jaded horse)
2 : made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience or by having or seeing too much of something (ie: jaded network viewers; jaded voters)
I suppose I could reasonably state that you are correct. But let's see how the attitude of the admins of those other "better avenues" you speak of are feeling after doing the BOI for something like 17 years like I have. Heck, probably longer than that if I consider the very first iterations of the Board Of Inquiry.

As for there being better avenues now for those of you in this hobby, well, more power to them and to you. It appears to me you have always been availing yourself of those other avenues in preference to this one during your tenure on this site anyway, so I don't see much changing in that regard. If the majority of members who have registered here are also availing themselves of those other avenues all along, then doesn't that support what I am claiming? That the BOI has outlived it's usefulness and no longer has any reason to continue? Surely we are not arguing that point, are we?

Quote:
I'll be deleting Fauna from the tabs on my computer. Enjoy your retirement; you clearly need it.
I really don't think you had this site as one of your hot "go to" places in your browser. Surely your posting history doesn't support that premise, but I guess it is possible that you are referring to links to every place you have ever visited on the web. Us losing you from this site will likely be every bit as painful and distressing as it will be to you losing us.

And thank you for the well wishes concerning my retirement. Actually I am enjoying it right now. Hard to believe that I actually retired over 8 years ago, isn't it? But be that as it may, I really don't see anything in that "need" department changing no matter what happens after the BOI goes away.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!