mites and frozen rats.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
jenn_jeffery
mites and frozen rats....

I feed my boa once every 3-4 weeks, one large rat each time. If I feed him more than that, he tends to get towards being fat. I've been buying frozen feeders from a local petshop, but each time after I feed him, within 2 weeks, he's covered in mites. To be paranoid, I took everything out of his cage, and put a new dark-colored rubbermaid in for a hide, and a rubbermaid for a waterbowl. He's on papertowels now for a substrate, and still mites show up.

My question is, is it possible for mites or their eggs to live on frozen rats, and hatch out after the rats have been thawed? He's a slow eater, and 'plays' with the rat for an hour or two sometimes before he actually eats it, so in theory, that's enough time for the mites to hatch out...any help or comments are welcome and appreciated.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:34 AM   #2
MGReptiles
I would think that the freezing would kill any mites and there eggs. Also if they had mites when alive they are usually killed with Co2 gas, and that alone shoudl kill anything...JMHO

Old 07-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
jenn_jeffery
That's what I was thinking as well, but I really can't find any other reason for the mites...

I'm going to try rats from a different source, and we'll see what happens then.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
psilocybe
Are you sure you are totally eradicating the mites every time before you feed a rat out? I have a very hard time believing that a frozen rat would be able to transmit mites, freezing would kill eggs and mites. I think you just haven't totally eradicated them in the first place, and whenever you change the substrate, you get rid of most of them, but then the eggs hatch, they reproduce somemore, and voila, you have tons of mites! Try TOTALLY disinfecting and cleaning the cage, and soak the snake to remove the mites from it's body. I would recommend using Black Knight spray, but that product is currently off the market. Some people have had success with Provent-a-Mite.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
jenn_jeffery
I do get rid of them each time. They're gone for three weeks or better between feedings, and show up each time I feed. The snake has plastic tubs that are bleached every other week, (hide spots and water bowl) and he's on paper towels for substrate, changed as needed. I have sprayed the cage with mite spray.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
psilocybe
Interesting indeed...I personally haven't heard of a case of frozen rodents transmitting mites AFTER being thawed out. I would suggest switching suppliers, if the mites keep coming back, chances are they aren't from the rodents.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:28 PM   #7
jenn_jeffery
That's my next plan. I'm ordering frozen feeders today or tomorrow, and we'll see what happens from there.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
mike1974
u need to use the preventamite it really works also use the snake oil on the snake

Old 03-26-2005, 01:04 AM   #9
stupidclauton
taake teh rats and put them in somethin and let them thaw out and later see if there are mites. i suggest you do this out side so you dont have to smell a decaying rat or mouse or whatever it is

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!