indian star for first tortoise - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
dhct301
indian star for first tortoise

hi I'm new to forum. I am a expierenced turtle guy . I have had wood,spotted, painters and a lot of box turtles. I been thinking of getting a tortoise for sometime. I was going to get box turtles again but I really love how tortoises are so personable. I narrowed down between a russian,star, and redfoot. I think the stars are a good choise as they don't get huge.what star type stays smaller

Old 11-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
nickolasanastasiou
The elegans stars, especially most Indians, stay smaller than most platynota (Burmese) stars. There are some Sri Lankans and some Indians, depending on line/locale/origin, that can still get larger than is typical.

Russians almost always stay relatively small. 6" to 9" in many cases, with the latter being a relatively large female size for the species (normally an inch or two shorter).

Redfoots range from medium to large. Depends on the sex, the line/locale/origin, and the individual. While there are huge RFs that reach 20", most stay much closer to 12".

Of those choices, only the Russian gives you the option of brumation in a "real" winter.

If I had a choice between the two stars species, Russians, and RFs and only wanted to keep a single individual, I would probably go with the following in order from most preferred to least:

platynota (Burmese star)
elegans (Indian or Sri Lankan star)
carbonaria (redfoot; I personally prefer the Brazilian and Bolivian "races")
Russian

The first two are the most beautiful. The first is the most rare. The last is the most hardy.

As an alternative to the Russian as a choice, I generally recommend the Hermann's tortoise (subspecies does not matter for this purpose) as a first-timer's pet tortoise. They have a pretty pattern and color scheme in many cases, are hardy, can brumate, are personable, and are extremely adaptable to a wide variety of climates (they can do well in almost all parts of the US whether inside or outside year-'round). This would be a great match for CT in terms of climate.

That said, they can all do well if you are willing to put in the work for those that need it. The Russian and the Hermann's will simply require much less "attention" to ensure they do well in a temperate climate with a serious winter season.

If you are not sure if you are going to get only one or several over time, I advise going for a female for whatever species you choose (or a temp-sexed female if starting with a hatchling). That will let you expand more easily later with less conflict from trying to deal with multiple males. If you are sure you never want more than one, a lone male can make for a more personable pet, penis-flashing (seriously) aside. If you think you might ever want more, try to go for a female to start. It is just easier to build a harmonious group that way later on.

If cost is a factor, then that will dramatically influence the choice.

Burmese stars are quite expensive. Indian stars are moderately expensive. Russians, redfoots, and Eastern Hermann's tortoises are relatively inexpensive. That is when dealing with babies. If going for adults, the prices mostly ramp up. Burmese stars get into used car territory. Indians can get into rent payment ranges. WC Russians are pretty cheap, as are WC redfoots. WC Eastern Hermann's females can cost a few times as much as a CB baby. Especially exceptional animals go for more. Sometimes, much, much more. If an animal is described as "farmed", just treat it like you would a WC import because the "farmed" definition can range from accurate to...not so much.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #3
Arizona Tortoise Compound
So which species did you decide to go with David?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!