Wanted looking to buy hairless(naked) mice, with white skin - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > Mammals For Sale/Wanted Ads

Notices

Mammals For Sale/Wanted Ads Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
dzoo
Thanks for the info and I apologize if I explained the genetics incorrectly - Whatever they are, people can look at the pics and decide if they suit them or not, I think most people looking at them with an untrained eye would describe them as essentially hairless when compared to a normal mouse, even though some do have fuzz. But again, thanks for the technical info.

rdcast- sent you a PM

Old 01-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
rdcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaUIUC View Post
...sorry I misread the fuzzy hairless post....it's not like double rex or true hairless in rats. Hairless in mice and rats is the same gene (recessive hr) and normally produces an essentially completely hairless animal with no skin pigment...they may or may not have whiskers as adults. They grow hair normally and then lose it as they grow.
Christina,
Would you have any suggestions for how I might go about finding for purchase, such naked mice?
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
StinaUIUC
Some labs will sell true hairless. I am hoping to get some in the near future myself.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
rdcast
Quote:
Some labs will sell true hairless. I am hoping to get some in the near future myself.
When you say “some labs” could you be a little more specific? I have no experience in this sort of acquisition. Also, being as they are, living creatures, is it always required to pick them up personally?
  Contact User Check User
Old 01-29-2011, 12:55 PM   #15
StinaUIUC
I hope to get mine from Simonsen Labs (www.simlab.com). They will ship them, but they have to be picked up from an airport (there are very specific shipping requirements for mammals).

Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
rdcast
Quote:
I hope to get mine from Simonsen Labs (www.simlab.com). They will ship them, but they have to be picked up from an airport (there are very specific shipping requirements for mammals).
There’s a private lab somewhere in Manhattan that sold a bunch of naked mice to a research hospital. Just don’t know how to find it yet.
  Contact User Check User
Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #17
radjess331
it is very hard to breed true hairless mice. they tend to have nursing problems. so well i guess they get pregnant just a easy as other mice but they make horrible mothers. If you want to breed them it is best to get hairless males. breed to normal females then breed male to those offspring to create more hairless.
plus hairless x hairless produces less offspring

Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #18
rdcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by radjess331 View Post
it is very hard to breed true hairless mice. they tend to have nursing problems. so well i guess they get pregnant just a easy as other mice but they make horrible mothers. If you want to breed them it is best to get hairless males. breed to normal females then breed male to those offspring to create more hairless.
plus hairless x hairless produces less offspring
Thank you, tho I’m not interested in becoming a breeder. I’m using white skinned, naked mice to test causes of Argyria, a relatively harmless, cosmetic condition, thought to be induced by too much silver chloride that is left in the skin, then turning blue with enough exposure to ultraviolet light over time. I have one lab on the west coast willing to sell me a half dozen or so, but the winter time shipping cost for live critters is about $600 alone. Warmer weather will bring that expense down precipitously.
  Contact User Check User
Old 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
Rhasputin
Hairless mice are available from several breeders on the eat coast now, including myself. Please try www.mouselovers.com if you're looking to buy some.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
Rhasputin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzoo View Post
Thanks for the info and I apologize if I explained the genetics incorrectly - Whatever they are, people can look at the pics and decide if they suit them or not, I think most people looking at them with an untrained eye would describe them as essentially hairless when compared to a normal mouse, even though some do have fuzz. But again, thanks for the technical info.

rdcast- sent you a PM

You explained it completely wrong. The reason it's an issue is hairless mice are much more valuable than fuzzy hairless mice (about 20x more valuable in some cases) and mislabling your mice could cause you to scam someone.

Please check your information before selling mice under any name other than plain old 'fancy'.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!