Interested in Monitors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
StinaUIUC
Interested in Monitors

I am dying for a monitor (or two...lol) and have been for some time... I've looked around a little, but not a great deal as of yet. At one point my husband and I got a couple of timors on impulse at Hamburg, but made the mistake of getting them from the wrong person and they lived less than a month with us

I was wondering if anyone could give us an idea of what outgoing (don't hide 24/7 or as soon as they think someone is coming), smaller species (up to/under 80cm or so total length) are available in the trade that aren't generally too expensive (less than $300 or so ea). We're not necessarily looking to get anything NOW....just want to make sure we do our research and know what is out there ahead of time I like v gilleni....but I'm not sure how available they are or what they tend to run. Is there anything else around that size or slightly larger?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Nazz
Go with Ackies.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
StinaUIUC
.....it was late last night....forgot to mention that I'm not super fond of ackies....I don't really like their tails. That may be what we go with though....I dunno.

I found a couple "not current" v gilleni ads and saw they are definitely out of the price range we'd be looking at any time soon....lol I hate that there is someone selling a trio of v similis right now and I'd only want one lol

Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Nazz
If you don't like Ackies then how about V. tristis tristis.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
StinaUIUC
I think v. tristis tristis are just a little bigger than I want to go....I'd really rather something that would stay under 80 cm...and I'm not sure I like the black coloration. I like v. tristis orientalis, but looks like they are significantly more expensive.

I really really really love v. similis...but from what I've seen they seem really rare in the trade...I know there is a trio available, but I am not ready for any right this second and don't want 3 (and would not want to put the stress on any reselling them right away).

Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #6
Nazz
I think you should go with the V. Similis when your ready for a monitor since that's what you really want. I don't know if anyone is breeding them. All the ones I have seen are wc. I would use the time you need to get set up for one to maybe find someone breeding them. Not sure if you want a hatchling or adult, but I think If you could get a hatchling you'll have a better overall experience. I don't think you should break up a bounded group. If you want an adult get a male they tend to be less shy. I would ask around on vanranus.net to see if anyone is breeding them.
Good luck

Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
StinaUIUC
Yeah from what I've seen looking around, it doesnt' seem like anyone has gotten the similis to breed in captivity...its a shame...they are really gorgeous animals! I would love a hatchling or juvie, but I would definitely be happy with a young adult. I definitely need to join varanus.net.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #8
hadenglock
I see them pop up every now and then, although im sure they are wild caught or farm bred if anything. If you truly like dwarf monitors, I would still consider ackies over timors imo. They are more active, they are easier to work with, and they are going to be CB. From what i understand, Timors actually do better when kept in groups, they are out in the open more when together. Ive had timors too, and its like looking at an empty cage all day when you only have one.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Gatorhunter1231
I know a guy selling similis and has a pair and it is still empty cage syndrome. He is going with ackies now. Ackies are awesome, come out fairly often, always digging, and tough as nails. Tristis are good also and about the same price range. They are a little more skittish the ackies but you will at least see them more then a handful of times.
mom

babies

the fear from babies duh duh duh

tritis tristis (doug price stock) and red ackie

of coarse there is Kims

Tristis are a tad bigger then ackies but not by much. They have longer tails which is why the look bigger when looking at measuring stats (on paper)

Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
StinaUIUC
Can tristis tristis be kept in the same size enclosure as ackies....or do they need slightly larger?

From what I read about the similis, they are supposed to be more outgoing than timors and don't hide as much? I love the black and white contrast in them.

I do like the red ackies....I just am not really fond of the look of the ridged tail.....I dunno.

Decisions decisions.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!