clarify which morphs/traits are genetic - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #1
beakgeek
clarify which morphs/traits are genetic

I've been doing some reading online about which traits/morphs are considered genetic, and have found conflicting information. Gee, who would have thought there would be conflicting information on the web ;-).

I would like someone who is familiar with Leopard Gecko genetics to comment.

Here is what I have heard:

"Phases or color morphs that are NOT genetic, such as Tangerine, Snow, Hypoxanthic, Hyperxanthic, High Yellow and Lavender are all produced by selective breeding."

"Patternless, Albino, Blizzard, and Jungle are recessive genetic traits and will be passed down from two parents who are carrying AND exhibiting this trait, (homozygous). This is not the case when you breed one parent who has and exhibits the gene with one that carries but doesn't exhibit (heterozygous)"

I read somewhere else "For example a specimen that is (double) het for tangerine and jungle"

So, is tangerine or is it not het?

Thanks!

Terry

Old 04-09-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
diablohogs
Post genetics

reccesive traits:

- blizzard
- patternless
- amelanism (albino)

co-dominant trait:

- hypo

line bred traits:

- snow
- jungle
- tangerine
- carrot tail
- high yellow (hyperxanthic)
- melanistic

things like "rainbow" and "pastel" im really not sure about.

Old 04-09-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
Sybella
I think what adds to the confusion is the light/dark variations in color produced by different incubation temperatures.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
Vince
Re: genetics

Quote:
Originally posted by diablohogs
reccesive traits:

- blizzard
- patternless
- amelanism (albino)

co-dominant trait:

- hypo

line bred traits:

- snow
- jungle
- tangerine
- carrot tail
- high yellow (hyperxanthic)
- melanistic

things like "rainbow" and "pastel" im really not sure about.
so your saying all those morphs listed are genetic traits? what about stripes or red stripe ? are those genetic? line breed traits meen they are genetic traits as well right, meening breed a snow to a snow you should get snows

Old 04-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #5
KelliH
Stripe is a recessive trait in leopard geckos as well.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #6
diablohogs
stripe genetics

Quote:
Stripe is a recessive trait in leopard geckos as well.
if that is true i should be able to cross a stripe with a normal and produce all normals het for stripe and then if i cross two het for stripes i should in turn produce stripes (25% stripes, 50% het for stripe and 25%normals). i believe that stripe is actually a line bred trait from jungles. the jungle pattern is a result of the bands trying to form stripes.

has anyone proven stripe as a recessive genetic trait?

Old 04-09-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
diablohogs
Quote:
so your saying all those morphs listed are genetic traits?
yes.

Quote:
what about stripes or red stripe ?
i believe they are the same thing. just being expressed with different morphs and i believe stripe to be line bred from jungles.

Quote:
line breed traits meen they are genetic traits as well right, meening breed a snow to a snow you should get snows
the term linebred refers to genetically passed on traits that are not defined as being simple recessive, co-dominant or dominant.

if you cross 2 grade A snows you will not necessarily produce all grade A snows or even leopard geckos that qualify as snows.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #8
KelliH
Quote:
has anyone proven stripe as a recessive genetic trait?
Yes, myself and others have.

Old 04-10-2004, 03:32 AM   #9
robin d.
i personally do not if all stripe and jungles are recessive in nature but i work with a couple of lines which are ... now i am not for sure if its a "true" recessive trait or an imcomplete recessive......... this jungle and abbarant parts confiuse me.. are they "earmarks " for het?? dont know but i should know more by the end of this season... it is recessive in nature but ii am not sure if it a true recessive or some form of an incomplete recessive trait... definately in what i am working with its genetic but like i said i do not think all lines are... i think temps can cause some striping, junglish animals and abbarancies

Old 04-10-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
Sarah H
Hey Robin,
When you say you think temps may play a role in some jungle/stripe/aberants, are you thinking of fluctuations or high or low temps?

I am just curious because of the offspring From 2 banded parents this year. In almost every clutch that has hatched one has a striped body(one fully,one real close)normal banded tail though and the cluthmate is banded .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!