Regal Reptiles - Meh. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #1
Morphie
Regal Reptiles - Meh.

I visited a couple weekends ago when i was in RI for a couple days. As many of you know, this is a large establishment that charges you a fee to walk in the door.

I was not impressed. I paid the admission and asked if I would get a refund if I bought something. The guy acted incredulous and said that only happens if I buy a reptile. I think he thought I was a tourist or something (maybe because I'm female) but me buying a reptile wasn't out of the question the way he sounded like he thought it was.

I approached some racks in the back behind what turned out to be a counter. They were full of ball pythons - the species I'd come to see and perhaps to buy. I was told I had to stay behind the counter because he "didn't want the snakes to bite me". I understand that he probably deals with a lot of morons on a daily basis, but I didn't particularly care to be treated like one. Also the counter barrier was not obvious.

I visited the big animal room in back. There are lots of animals in interesting enclosures, but it felt... i dunno? dirty? Maybe it was the light - it hardly exists and it's nearly impossible to see anything.

Later, I inquired about a book i was interested in and I was informed of the price. Firstly, the price was higher than it is to buy a new one directly from the Barkers and have it shipped, plus this copy had been handled roughly and was all banged up. The worst part was that the guy i asked (same one as earlier) gave off some really heavy "annoyance" vibes, like telling me how much he wanted for the book was a huge deal and I was bothering him. He didn't appear to be especially busy, and excuse me if I was interested in giving him my business. Again, maybe I didn't *look* like the sort of person who has almost 20 pythons at home and would be interested in getting more. In any case, I won't be going back :/

Although I will say that one of the employees was really friendly and treated me normally (like something other than a dumb tourist whose last encounter with a reptile was at the zoo when she was five). He almost made up for the attitude of his unpleasant superior.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
SPJ
I completely agree. I was not impressed with the establishment and the fee they charge you to even see what they have is ridiculous.

What about the xtra large snapper sitting in the middle of the building by the gator setup? Talk about being in way too small of a tank and nowhere for it to move.

The lighting is terrible and some of the setups look old, worn out, and well, dirty.

The staff, well some there act like they just can't be bothered.

Not a pleasent experience when I stopped by (I was on a business trip by there and decided to check them out on my way home).

Old 01-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
Morphie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
What about the xtra large snapper sitting in the middle of the building by the gator setup? Talk about being in way too small of a tank and nowhere for it to move.
I was wondering about that but I optimistically assumed that this animal was in a transition tank of some kind, and that wasn't his permanent home...

Old 01-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
SPJ
Been there like that for at least 2 years that I know of.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
HopingForBabies
I agree,I go there once in a while to get a couple supplies.I went there a couple weeks ago,and the place looks worse than ever.As for the fee,I have bought supplies and did not pay the fee.I guess big places make you pay a fee,I went to NERD two weeks ago,and they charge you $10.I didn't pay it,I was with my family,so it would have been $50.just to look.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #6
snakewrangler
Is it common for reptile shops to charge an admission fee?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
John E Dove
I don't go to many pet stores but I have never heard of it till now.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
MirandaTwilight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethsExotics
Is it common for reptile shops to charge an admission fee?
Their primary business works as a wholesaler and they basically charge a fee to the public to view their establishment. As mentioned, the fee is refunded if an animal is purchased.

I've obtained a few crested geckos from them in the past from their place of business and from local shows and have never had any personal problems in dealing with them. The geckos were always outwardly healthy and robust, cages generally clean (at least when I went) and the customer service was at the time decent. The one thing I can say though is that they always seem a bit understaffed in some departments so that could be the reason for their decline. I admit that I haven't been there in a few years so things may have changed since the last time I visited, sad to hear.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
varnyard
Well I am not going to pay to go into a petstore, that is just plain silly.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #10
InterExotics
The fee just depletes the whole reason of having a store to me... But I love showing off my animals and teaching the beginners about reptile care.

I just can't see myself paying a fee to go into a petstore. Especially since their stock changes continuously and it wouldn't be certain I would find something I want to purchase to get the entrance fee refunded. Unless the place is huge with nice bright zoo quality immaculate enclosures and they let you do photography like a zoo...

It's a shame Regal reptiles seems to be going downhill. I heard good things about them a while back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!