improvised home defense - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 07-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
KORBIN5895
improvised home defense

Okay most of you don't know me so I should start out with saying I am not completely crazy but I do have an odd fascination with post apocalyptic survival. When I say this I am think about what will happen when anarchy reigns and we have to be self sufficient for our own well being and personal safety. One of the biggest draws for me is homemade weaponry because what happens when your ammunition runs out?

I guess my point with this thread is improvised weapons. What can you make in a pinch? What have you made yourself? How low tech can you go and still be efficient?

I myself have made home bows and arrows using only a belt tool and knife. My bow string and fletching twine was made from raccoon intestine. I tried several different arrow points from flint ( which I suck at knapping) to sharpened bone and broken glass.

I have made a soup can mace out of lead a soup can and a metal pipe for a handle. I also made one with roofing nails protruding from the can (which moved upon impact so longer ones would probably be better).

At one point in my life I hunted with black powder rifles so I decided to make my own black powder. That was a lot of fun. We will leave that story there.

I have also tried my hand at deadfalls, pitfalls, snares and foot traps.

So anyone else want to share their ideas?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Shadera
I've become decently proficient with a sling after a few years' practice. I use braided dacron and tanned leather for the sling, and just about any small rock will do as ammo. Supposedly you can kill up to humans with one, but I wouldn't know and hope I never need to. I've killed small animals like squirrels and rabbits with one.

Snares are definitely a good skill to have, too.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
KORBIN5895
I love Dacron! That stuff is amazing.

I wish I was good with sling but I have never practiced with one.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
what will happen when anarchy reigns and we have to be self sufficient for our own well being and personal safety.
Just my own opinion garnered from watching people and organizations for many years.
If the SHTF there is no doubt that one should be ready to be self sufficient for a good while. But later, within any group no matter how small,there will be specialization. Some will need to hunt food, others will need to maintain shelter and raise children, others will concern themselves with learning how to preserve the health of the group.
Out of the group, the strongest and best trained will emerge as the defenders.
Slingshots are a good idea, but it all needs to be easily handled and portable.
Any government has I'm sure stockpiled enough munitions so that individuals will run out far sooner that it will.
Any small group wanting a measure of independence from that particular government is a sitting duck if they cannot move around and away from anticipated government influence.
Unless there is some specialization, and unless weapons are easily portable, even in a group of families, it will not be as easy to move out when necessary.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
KORBIN5895
I honestly don't think we will be able to challenge our government in any real way. Its just not going to happen.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
our government
I was not speaking of any particular government, but of established governments in general. When governments are new they are by the people for the people and seem flexible and designed to meet the needs of the people.
Established governments, on the other hand, want to make sure that they maintain control. So no matter what the disaster is that befalls, one will cope with both maintaining health, safety, and basic needs such as food, and coping with government decisions on how to manage that may not be the same as yours.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!