Panther Incubation Temperature - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-18-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
ladyfrog85
Panther Incubation Temperature

I would like to know anything and everything about incubating panther eggs. I know I can go to sites and find the best methods and I have. The real reason I'm posting is because I heard it was possible to incubate the eggs at a certain temperature and make the entire clutch females. I know this is possible with some species of reptiles, but it seems weird that this would work for chameleons. She will probably be ready to lay her eggs in about a week.
Email me at jasonking@2by2.net or post. Thanks All.

PS - I also have a female veiled chameleon about to lay her eggs. She is digging around and the eggs are showing through her. She is enormous. If you have any advice about this I would love it.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:18 AM   #2
SpiralTailRanch
Your girl,

E-mail Tyler Stewart at BLUEBEASTREPTILE@AOL.COM
with the exact question you posted and he can tell you everything you need to know. He is a genius when it comes to panther chameleons.

Good luck!
Keep us updated on her progress!

Old 07-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
elago
Veileds

Did the female lay for you yet? When my females are gravid I transfer the to a plastic garbage can with 12-14 inches of damp sand for her to dig into with no cage decoration ect. whatsoever. The only way she has to go is down. She'll dig a tunnel all the way to the bottom, turn around and begin laying her clutch. After she's laid (and you should really leave her alone as much as possible during the laying process) she'll cover the eggs up the it's time for you to go in with a spoon and a brush and uncover the clutch. Make sure to mark the tops of the eggs when you transfer them to 1:1 perlite/water (by weight) and put the marked tops of the eggs facing up. Do not turn the eggs or the embryos will drown, and settle in for a LONGGGGGGGGGGG incubation (6-9 months depending on temperature). At room temps (74-78 degrees) they will take 7-7.5 months to hatch, make sure you keep the eggs as dark as possible (I wrap my boxes in a towel and incubate them in my herp-room 82 degrees during the day, 76 at night ambient temperatures). Good luck, the trick to hatching is the patience to wait, and making sure the perlite stays damp (your eggs should not be swimming, however). Feel free to write me at elago@olemiss.edu for any other veiled queries you may have. -Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2004, 01:26 PM   #4
JasonDescamps
There is some preliminary work going on with TSD (temp. sex determination) in panther chameleons and the results are promising. However these are just initial results and not yet conclusive. I will see if I can dig up the specifics on it and post it.

Old 07-07-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
elago
Whoa,

I didn't even notice how old the thread was that was started until now! Those veiled eggs have been laid and are probably 3 months into cooking by now. Yeah, I'd like to know the temp-sexing info on panthers for sure if you can dig it up Jason, I have some nice panthers in and more coming and would like to know just for my personal use. I've heard of it, but have yet to check up on what's been going on in temp-sexing panthers, it's something I'd definitely like to know! -Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com

Old 07-07-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
SpiralTailRanch
oops...

I actually didn't notice either. I don't know why I didn't look. I just figured it was a little old, that's why I just put the link.
DUH for me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!