what to do with a gecko at end of life? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #1
Spot
what to do with a gecko at end of life?

Hello - I have a leopard gecko, Spot, whom I've had for 21 years. I believe he is nearing the end of his life. He has been struggling with his sheds for several months now but otherwise have been eating well and was active. But for the past 2 weeks, he hasn't eaten anything. He still looks good because he has a really robust tail, but I've noticed that his tail has shrunk some. His activity level is really down too.

Is there anything I can do for him at this point? I know I'm lucky to have him for this long and he has given me much joy. Is there anything I can do for him to make his end as comfortable and as peaceful as possible?

Old 09-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
You've apparently done an incredible job of caring for this guy. Kudos to you!

I had a green iguana for the same number of years, and he declined in a similar way toward the end. I never thought that he gave any indication of being in pain, and just gave him whatever treat foods he would take (lots of berries) and tried to keep him hydrated. Toward the end he didn't move much, but I still took him out into the sun and gave him soaks in the tub.

After caring for many hundreds of animals of many species -- herps, cats, livestock -- I've gotten the impression that while animals feel physical pain, they don't seem to associate it with the sort of psychological pain that humans do (and that animals do seem to feel when they're scared or threatened). I suspect that as long as he's as physically comfortable as you can make him, then he's also feeling peaceful.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #3
Spot
Thank you very much for replying! If he isn't suffering, that's would be comforting, but it is heartbreaking to watch him fade away. It's amazing how one can get attached to such a little life. We will continue to take him out in the sun and give him warm q-tip massages.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:52 AM   #4
Helenthereef
warm q-tip massages sound like a wonderful way to be cared for!

Old 09-03-2021, 12:58 AM   #5
Helenthereef
I'm not suggesting you do this, as it is obvious that you will care for him very well in his old age, but if you ever feel he IS suffering (and I would only think of this if he was physically damaged in some irreparable way) the kindest way to send a gecko off is to cool him gradually so that he goes into a soporific state (for example, strong air conditioning, then transferral to a fridge). Once you are sure he is unresponsive, move him to the freezer and leave him overnight. Never put a moving animal directly into the freezer, as this would cause pain, but gradual cooling is more like a deepening anaesthetic.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:19 AM   #6
Spot
@Helenthereef-Thank you! Thank you for the instructions. I do appreciate knowing the best way to send him off when the time comes.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #7
Socratic Monologue
Considering euthanasia is a good thing to bring up, Helen. Freezing of reptiles not a currently sanctioned euthanasia practice in the US, though. I think in the past it was. Here are the current AVMA guidelines:

https://www.avma.org/sites/default/f...al-1-17-20.pdf

Apparently, there is evidence that larger (>4g) ectotherms can become unresponsive but remain sensate until after ice crystals have begun to form in the extremities, which is presumed to be quite painful. Freezing is acceptable as a secondary method (that is, the one that ensures death), but the primary method has to be one that reliably renders the animal unconscious (which hypothermia is not thought to do in ectotherms).

"Hypothermia is an inappropriate method of restraint or euthanasia for amphibians and reptiles unless animals are sufficiently small (< 4 g) to permit immediate and irreversible death if placed in liquid N2 (rapid freezing) [...] because amphibians and reptiles lack behavioral or physiologic means of demonstrating pain or distress while hypothermic, generalized prohibitions on hypothermia for restraint or euthanasia are appropriate." (p. 94)

Most of the reptile recommendations involve injections; the only one that isn't rx is MS222 in a 2-stage process. I've not used this method.

I personally euthanize reptiles using approved physical methods that may not be appropriate to mention in the context of a long time pet animal. They're described in the linked article. If you want descriptions of these methods either here or via PM, @Spot, let me know.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #8
Spot
@Socratic Monologue-Thank you for the updated methods.
You are right, I don't think I can do the physical methods with Spot.

I was able to get an appointment with a herp vet tomorrow, so either way, I will be able to take care of him in the best possible way available to me.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:53 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Socratic Monologue - Thanks very much for the update, it's much appreciated. I have used gradual cooling with secondary freezing multiple times, but always with small house geckos (to be used as prey animals), never anything larger.

Spot - sorry to give outdated advice. I hope your vet has some better suggestions.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:34 AM   #10
Spot
I have a great update to report!!

The vet saw a bad infection near his cloaca which we are guessing was from struggling with a bad shed. (It was pretty bad, but I just never saw it because I never thought to flip him over and check...) She gave us several options and we opted to give Spot the best chance possible. So although pricy, we took him to the vet 3x a week to get antibiotic injections. The vet also sent us home with stuff to give him daily betadine bath, pain relief ointment and formula for syringe feeding.

After 3 weeks, the infected area is almost cleared and he ate on his own yesterday for the first time in almost 2 months!! My son has been meticulous and diligent in Spot's care and the little guy has now starting to gain weight!! He has one more antibiotic injection left but I think he is out of the woods and we hope he will start to fatten up his tail again!!

In the past, we only helped with shed around his toes and tail tips with warm q-tips, but now, we will be more proactive, especially since my son is a pro at giving him baths now!!

Thank you to those who posted with kind tips and support. I am very happy to give you this great update!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!