Some shipping questions... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Araidia
Some shipping questions...

This will be my first time shipping, I've ordered some supplies and just want to make sure I have the details down. I ordered 60+ hour heat packs and boxes with 3/4in insulation. Sorry ahead of time for the barrage of questions just need to make sure I have everything right.

What temps should you used heat and cold packs in?
What temperature range is considered safe to ship in?
Should the heat pack be taped to the side or top of the box?

The boxes I bought say perishable handle with care on the side, do they need to say live harmless reptile on the outside somewhere or just on the inside? Does there need to be any paperwork on the outside of the box?

What packing material do you prefer, newspaper or the styrofoam peanut things?

I know that inside the box on top of the insulation there should be a paper saying live harmless reptile and the species and common name and weight of the animals, is there anything other paper work that should be included?
I read somewhere that you should have the receiver's address in there to in case the box label is lost, does anyone else do that?

Is there anything else important that I should know? lol I haven't even shipped anyone yet and I'm already worrying about them.

And one last question, what is everyone's opinion of Reptiles Express? I was planning on using SYR because they have insurance for late delivery and doa's and they have a good reputation. Does Reptiles Express do anything like that? Somewhere on their site said they're not responsible if something happens to the package so I wasn't sure. Reptile express is a bit cheaper than SYR but I don't want to go for cheaper if it's riskier for the animals.

Thanks for all the help

Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Cat_Eyed_Lady
I dont ship but I have Received lots of snake packages

I have never gotten one with the syrofoam peanuts. What most ppl use, I beleive, is either news paper or even shaveings, like you would have inside a snakes viv. I like the shaveings, even if they are abit more messy because you can pack it around the containers and it really holds the snakes secure in shipping. The ppl who use newspaper usually crinkle it small or run it thru a shredder so that it also can be kinda molded around the snake containers to hold in place.
Hope that helps a little on that part of your question

Dee Anna Hazen

Old 11-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
cmalchow
Wow you do have a lot of questions but good for you to ask.

Cold/Heat packs - It really depends on the ideal temps for the type of reptile you are shipping but generally I do 80f and over gets an ice pack and 70 and below get heat pack.

It does need to say live harmless wildlife and at least the scientific name of the animal. You do not need to put reptile and I put it on the label not on the box directly but it really doesn't matter where as long as it is there.

The snakes(what I normally ship) get shipped in their deli cup with aspen. Then news paper padded all around their deli cup so the deli cup can't move.

I put packing slips in the boxes that has my name,phone, and address along with the buyers and all of the information regarding the animal including it's unique id (name/number however you differentiate your animals)

I don't have any experience with reptile express. I had looked into them while I was getting certified but my certification came through fast than I had thought.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
cmalchow
Oh and I like to put heat and ice packs on the side of the box wrapped in newspaper that way the animal is able to have a heat and cool side to choose for themselves.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
bsharrah
http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/get_help

See these FAQ's. I think most, if not all, your questions will be answered there. Not necessarily the only way to do it but if you do it this way you will be fine, IMO.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
robyn@Pro Exotics
We have tried to create a complete and easy to follow Get Help section at ShipYourReptiles.com.

You can also contact Andy@ShipYourReptiles.com with specific questions. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Araidia
Thank you! Your site is awesome , thanks for all the help everyone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!