PayPal fee ?? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
rattyrugrats
I have never had a seller add an extra fee after I have already agreed to purchase. I have seen sellers advertise that they will charge an extra 3% if paypal is used, but it is stated in their ad so it is not unexpected and I believe that they allow other forms of payment if you do not want to take this route. In my opinion, it is deceitful to add in an extra fee without informing the buyer, especially if they wait until after the buyer has committed to the purchase.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #12
hhmoore
If they state that there will be an additional fee for using PayPal, I move on....unless it is something I can't easily acquire or I really like. If that is the case, I do one of two things:
I either initiate the User Agreement discussion, and see how it goes...or I decide what I would offer normally, then take 3-5% off that. If they take it great, I'll add the fee back in. If they decline my offer, I point out what I would have offered and then end the discussion. Occasionally, if they contact me to say they'll take the offer, I'll purchase; but, usually, I don't look back.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
axeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
If they state that there will be an additional fee for using PayPal, I move on....
I agree with this. I also feel that it isn't worth the loss of a sale to add the fee in. I realize that the fee could be substantial on some higher end snakes, but you don't make anything on a sale that doesn't happen. I don't even bother with a seller that asks. I feel like they will want me to pay for the newspaper in the packaging next.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
NixonRp
In my opinion it depends on the value of the animal. If it is only a few hundred ill eat the cost but in a situation earlier this year where I had someone purchase several animals from me the amount was over 5k and 3 % of that would be considerable compared to the cost of him sending a money order or cashiers check. With that said we split the cost of the fee as Paypal wouldnt let us send that amount as a gift.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #15
Cat_Eyed_Lady
I dont have a problem with paying abit extra to cover paypal fees... Just was kinda saying that I would prefer to know about it Before we get to the sending money part. If he was upfront about it, it would have been different but to not say anything? to me that was sneaky is all. I dont like sneaky... its like lieing and I truly hate that! So, lesson learned for me and I will handle it better next time.

Thank you everyone for your inputs It has helped me a lot.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
hhmoore
Quote:
If it is only a few hundred ill eat the cost
This seems to be in conflict with
Quote:
I had someone purchase several animals from me the amount was over 5k and 3 % of that would be considerable
Last time I checked, 3% of $5000 is only $150

My feeling is that sellers should plan accordingly with pricing...one can always give a discount for cash (check/money order) payment, if the customer is willing to pay that way.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
Shadera
As a seller, I eat the paypal fee, along with cost of packaging materials used to ship the animal. It's a cost of doing business, and kind of scummy to flat our ask a buyer to pay it.

Like Harald said, use those things when figuring out what you're going to price your animals at. If you can't afford a few bucks for paypal, you're selling your stuff too cheap.

As a buyer, I pass by ads where the seller says they're adding a percentage to cover paypal fees. Although usually if I'm paying via paypal I will send extra to cover them anyways. I just won't do it if I'm told I will, rather than it being of my own free will.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
NixonRp
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
This seems to be in conflict with

Last time I checked, 3% of $5000 is only $150

My feeling is that sellers should plan accordingly with pricing...one can always give a discount for cash (check/money order) payment, if the customer is willing to pay that way.
Meaning if the dollar amount for the animal is only a few hundred. Not the fee.

I wouldn't pay 150 because the buyer doesnt want to take a short drive to the post office and spend 5 bucks to send it priority vice me loosing out on 150 as a convenience to them if that was the case I would have given the person even more of a discount with what they got at the price they were getting there was no complaints. As I offered to take half the fee.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!