Shipping Crested Geckos Next Week, Do I Need A Heat Pack? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Samantha12986
Shipping Crested Geckos Next Week, Do I Need A Heat Pack?

Hi Guys,

I am going to be shipping for the first time this week. I've done a lot of research on the whole shipping process so I feel pretty confident about how to pack and label them and I have the proper supplies.

My question is, do I include a heat pack or not? I'm planning to ship from Portland, ME on Wednesday for it to arrive in Mount Vernon, NY on Thursday. My day temp is forecast to be 50 with an overnight low of 34. The destination is forecast to have a high of 57 and a low of 48. The destination is only 5 hours from me so I'm assuming they will just ride there on a truck instead of flying?

Would you guys use a heat pack? I have one but I'm nervous after reading that the packs reach 114 degrees or so. They are all juvies from 5-10 grams and I'm nervous about them getting too hot.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
FireStorm
I would definitely use a heat pack. I'm not an expert shipper, but so far I've been following the guidelines on ShipYourReptiles site and they've been working fine. Even shipping from Florida to cooler climates with a heat pack (temps on my end in the mid 70s/low 80s when I drop off the package) I haven't had any problems with the 4 snakes I sent with heat packs. The heat pack surface temps hit over 100, but the temps in the box don't get that high.

Also, even though they are only going 5hrs away, they may get shipped to a hub via plane then back. I recently ordered a snake from 4hrs south of me (I'm in Central FL). It went to Lexington, then back to Tampa.

Here's a link to the SYR info they give:
http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/g...s/#question-15

Hope this helps,
Shelly

Old 10-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
robyn@Pro Exotics
Definitely use a 40hr heat pack on your shipment. This is a transitional time of year, so during the last few warming spells I may not use a heat pack, but generally, it is going to be heat packs in the boxes from here until the end of March, with few exceptions.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Samantha12986
Thank you both very much for responding. I will ship them out next week (it will be a little warmer) with the heat pack and I bet things will be fine.

Firestorm: That's funny that from just a few hours away they have to fly out and everything. It makes sense though that they can't send the trucks everywhere.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Melissa N.
Hi Samantha,

I would be worried about using a heat pack with the temperatures you mentioned.
Last week I shipped a juvenile Crested gecko from Michigan to New York with similar
temperatures, and the gecko went just fine with the FedEx Ship Your Reptile.
Best wishes.

Melissa N. (I'm thinking the shipment already took place. Hope it went well).

Old 11-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Samantha12986
Hi Melissa,

The temp actually went a little bit lower so I didn't ship last week. I'm planning on trying it this week. When you shipped yours, did you use a heat pack? I think I'm going to use a larger box and have the heat pack well-insulated on one side. The overnight low looks like it will be around 40-43 (it keeps changing) and the daytime high is about 62-65 (also keeps changing). Thank you for the answers everyone. Would you recommend a heat pack with the new temps? Will it be safe to ship at all with such a range of temps? The customer is only about a 5 hour drive away and is open to possibly meeting somewhere if we can't arrange a safe shipping day.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
robyn@Pro Exotics
These are perfect temps for shipping with a 40 hr heat pack. There is no reason to drive 5+ hours roundtrip for either the shipper or recipient.

A well insulated box (at least 3/4" insulation) and a properly started heat pack will keep the box and gecko in a perfect temperate environment.

Shipping in cold weather is much easier and safer than shipping in hot weather.

Get Live Arrival Insurance coverage for an extra sense of well being, but have no fear shipping at this time of year, it is easy to do safely and responsibly.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Melissa N.
Hi, I did not use a heat pack and really do not think you will need one for a crested and those temps. The boxes are well insulated. Best wishes. Melissa

Old 11-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
FireStorm
I've shipped with daytime temps higher than that, with heat, and no problems. The thing is, the shipment is happening at night when temps are cooler and also by plane. Temps are significantly colder at altitude than on the ground. Even from FL, if the daytime high is 80 it's cooler by the time I drop the package off, and even cooler by the time it gets put on a truck.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
robyn@Pro Exotics
As for planes and altitudes, all airplane shipping compartments that ShipYourReptiles FedEx Overnight packages travel in are both pressurized and temperature controlled (55-75F).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!