Tegu Get mean ??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-15-2014, 05:25 AM   #1
CivicDemon
Tegu Get mean ???

So my girl was at the shop getting some frozen mice for or about to be 1 year old tegu and the guy asked why we feed frozen, She replied what i have told her, to keep feeding aggression down and so he dont get mean.

The guy at the shop said that sooner or later he will get mean no matter what. I dont think its true what do you guys think. i want him to eventually free roam the house. Heres his pics.

Picked him up on craigslist for a good price, Hes a good eater also. he eats ground turkey, chicked liver and gisards chopped, thawed mice one every 2 2 weeks and some grapes and difrent berries from time to time,

these pics where from about 2 months ago he has since grown about 4 to 5 inches. growing fast. Im also thinking of cutting back his feeding to every other day. What do you guys think..

Old 12-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
jruel57
I have seen adult males that will let you hold them in your arms and walk a show with them and I have seen them want to tear your face off. Its all in the way they are kept and how much time you spend with them in my opinion.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicDemon View Post
What do you guys think..
He is a great looking lizard!!!!
What do I think? Never put him in a position to do real irrecoverable harm when he gets large enough to do harm. Even the nicest critter can have a bad day, or come upon a situation it doesn't understand and feels threatened by.
So don't let (for example) a pet 1 lb. snappy chihuahua up near him, or a 1 year old child get near him without supervision who might poke your tegu in the eye not knowing what he is doing. Both the critter AND the person could get hurt under those circumstances.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Snake-Queen
Is he an Argentine or Colombian?

Feeding frozen/thawed is safer for him.

If you spend plenty of time with him, he should stay calm and dog like. If you don't spend time with him, he may become aggressive.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Idiopathicelectrode
If you hold him regularly, and let him explore around with you, he should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
CivicDemon
No worries any more guys this guy is now huge and pretty tame, he loves to come out and roam around. He does not like to go outside. He gets in a bad mood when hes outside. so the outdoors is a nono for him. lol. Heres a picture of him.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:38 PM   #7
Idiopathicelectrode
Nice lizard man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-31-2015, 02:01 AM   #8
CivicDemon
Thanks man Hes over 50 inches now and over 12 pounds

Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
JColt
One of the most fierce lizards I ever encountered was a tegu once. Scaly pit-bull! lol. Years ago I read an article from a zoo keeper that was in charge of Komodo Dragon at zoo. It had always been inside and was puppy dog tame. They made an outdoor enclosure and as soon as he went in the thing it charged him and he leaped out of the pit. Winter time he was put back inside and was calm again. I believe his theory had to do with the Sun. Nice looking tegu you have.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
he looks great!
I've also heard theories about the sun bringing out the 'inner monster' in some lizards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!