I want a ball python! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
awesomeherpkeeper
I want a ball python!

Okay so I have been asking my parents for a snake for s YEAR now! I am starting to get really discouraged as nothing seems to be working! So I could really use some help. They say the should not be pets as they are wild animals. But we have two dogs, and I could say the same for them. I already have a gecko, and I take care of her, and provide the best possible conditions for her. They say we do not as space, although I can fit several RACKS in my room. They also say they don’t want to take care of it, although I have had pets for years now, and all have lived long lives and been taken care of. So any advice? The all so say the they can’t be kept in tubs, although tubs are the better option as they take up less space, and are WAY cheaper. So does anyone have an suggestions for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
bcr229
Graduate from college with a degree that can be used to support yourself and your herp habit, get a job, move out, buy snakes.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
Sounds like they just don't like snakes since they let you have a gecko.
There may be no convincing them.
I wanted a cat more than anything growing up, I wasn't allowed to have any pets at all.
Once I was out on my own, had reliable job and housing, there was nothing holding me back any longer.
I know it can feel like a long way off, especially when young, but time really does fly. Before you know it, you'll be settled and on your own and able to make those decisions on what to get for yourself.
When living with parents, you have to respect their rules. If you really still want to try to convince them, maybe you all can go to a reptile show together and they can hear from other snake keepers to alleviate some of their concerns.
At least they let you have a gecko!
good luck

Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
Helenthereef
I think the thing is that ball pythons can live 20 - 30 years and so should not be taken on lightly if you are likely to be changing your life in the next few years (ie college or otherwise leaving home), when you pretty obviously have parents who would not want to care for your snake if you left. Lots of apartments and dorms won't let you keep a snake, so it's better if you wait to get one until you are sure about where you will be living in future.

Having said that, if you are going to have a snake, a ball python is small, can live in a small tub so doesn't take up much space, and doesn't even need to be fed daily as your gecko does, so it's a good choice. If you get one from a breeder in the USA (as they have been bred in the USA for a LONG time), you really cannot be accused of taking one out of the wild.

However, I know a lot of people who simply are creeped out by the idea of a snake, don't like the concept of having to feed it dead animals, and think that keeping any animal in small tubs is cruel. All you can do about that is try and get them to meet a snake - do you know anyone who keeps one that they could visit?

Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
awesomeherpkeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I think the thing is that ball pythons can live 20 - 30 years and so should not be taken on lightly if you are likely to be changing your life in the next few years (ie college or otherwise leaving home), when you pretty obviously have parents who would not want to care for your snake if you left. Lots of apartments and dorms won't let you keep a snake, so it's better if you wait to get one until you are sure about where you will be living in future.

Having said that, if you are going to have a snake, a ball python is small, can live in a small tub so doesn't take up much space, and doesn't even need to be fed daily as your gecko does, so it's a good choice. If you get one from a breeder in the USA (as they have been bred in the USA for a LONG time), you really cannot be accused of taking one out of the wild.

However, I know a lot of people who simply are creeped out by the idea of a snake, don't like the concept of having to feed it dead animals, and think that keeping any animal in small tubs is cruel. All you can do about that is try and get them to meet a snake - do you know anyone who keeps one that they could visit?

I have taken them to pet stores, my dad I have taken to an expo, and one of my neighbors as one as a class pet, and he was at their house on Sunday, and I showed how I could put him up around my neck and stuff. A couple of the adults though thought he would eat me so...

Old 11-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeherpkeeper View Post
I have taken them to pet stores, my dad I have taken to an expo, and one of my neighbors as one as a class pet, and he was at their house on Sunday, and I showed how I could put him up around my neck and stuff. A couple of the adults though thought he would eat me so...

Well it sounds as though you've gone though all the processes most of us would normally suggest to prove that snakes aren't monsters, and it hasn't changed much. Ultimately, this is like any other kind of house-sharing arrangement - if you had an apartment with a room mate and they were deadset against snakes, you couldn't really force one on them either.

The thing is there are only two ways to go and still have a happy life - either try again with the borrowed snake until they really come to see them as cute, or just bide your time until you have your own home. You won't enjoy a snake if it is a cause of fights and upsets, and it's still nice to have something to work towards and look forward to in the future.

In the meantime you can join snake forums and learn as much as you can about keeping them (and browse for the future....)

Old 11-21-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
bcr229
Also if you are old enough you can get a job in a pet store. The big box stores in particular really need people who are not scared to work with the snakes, and who try to do right by them.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
awesomeherpkeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Well it sounds as though you've gone though all the processes most of us would normally suggest to prove that snakes aren't monsters, and it hasn't changed much. Ultimately, this is like any other kind of house-sharing arrangement - if you had an apartment with a room mate and they were deadset against snakes, you couldn't really force one on them either.

The thing is there are only two ways to go and still have a happy life - either try again with the borrowed snake until they really come to see them as cute, or just bide your time until you have your own home. You won't enjoy a snake if it is a cause of fights and upsets, and it's still nice to have something to work towards and look forward to in the future.

In the meantime you can join snake forums and learn as much as you can about keeping them (and browse for the future....)

I have two friends who are breeders. Maybe I could borrow a snake, and see what my parents think. And I can’t work at stores. They typically only higher 16-18

Old 11-21-2017, 10:55 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Also if you are old enough you can get a job in a pet store. The big box stores in particular really need people who are not scared to work with the snakes, and who try to do right by them.
Now THAT'S a great idea! ..... Ah, just saw your post. But you will be 16 in time, so it's something to aim for.

Maybe your friend's snake could come to you for a week's holiday to try it out?

Old 11-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #10
Helenthereef
Also I just had another thought - you might check up on whether keeping ball pythons and geckos in close proximity is a good idea - geckos are on the menu for some snakes (I don't know about ball pythons) and having them in smelling range of each other could be very stressful for both of them if that's the case.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!