Prickly Pear Powder for Beardie? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 01:06 AM   #1
Night10gail
Lightbulb Prickly Pear Powder for Beardie?

I found a place that sells prickly pear pads (the leaves after they've been skinned and de-spined) and red prickly pear fruit that is purred/crushed then dehydrated to form a powder. It's a food grade product meant for adding to smoothies, protein shakes, making your own cactus water, etc. The prickly pear fruit contains only the fruit and some organic brown rice powder to prevent it from caking (bearded dragons may have some cooked rice). The prickly pear pads/leaves are 100% with no additives. The prickly pear plant is a staple of a wild bearded dragon's diet and it can be given to a pet captive bearded dragon of any size daily. Getting both the fruit and the leaves of this spineless padded cactus is both difficult and expensive (those shipping charges add up quick and there's no place local to me to get it). I was wondering if I could purchase the powder of the fruit and/or the pads then just mix it into a paste with a little water to feed to my bearded dragon (1-2Xweekly)? Similar to what you would do with Repashy or Pangea Crested Gecko Diet. Speaking of crested geckos could my crestie eat some of the powdered prickly pear fruit once I made it into a paste like her commercial powdered diet? They are fruit and nectar eaters by nature. I'm sure the dubia colony would gladly accept any uneaten paste mixture that the lizards didn't eat.

On the subject of bearded dragon food I read somewhere that they can have chopped earthworms occasionally. Is that true? And are red wigglers okay as well or just earthworms? Purchased from a pet supply shop of course not a bait store.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!