For those that missed the eclipse - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
For those that missed the eclipse

For those of you who couldn't view it, I tried my best to grab some pics. Probably could have gotten some better ones if i was better prepared. First I tried them with a single filter, but no shutter speed or ISO setting i tried was fast enough for the brightness. So i quickly added a second filter over the first to try and cut back some of the brightness. But it was setting fast, and quickly went behind the trees. So i umped into the truck and started to head up on the mountain, but quickly realized i would miss it entirely if I did that. Si I found a gap in the horizon between the trees, and tried again. Still had to mess with the ISO and shutter speed to get it some halfway decent pics, and this is the result.

Most of the glare, I believe, is from the dbl filters. A reflection from the inner one, hitting the outer one, and showing up on the pic. But all in all, you get the idea.

Using a Nikon D50, 500mm mirror lens with 2x and 4x sun filters, shutter speed 4000 and ISO 1600.

Like i said, probably could have done better if i was more prepared, but you get the idea. I still have a white dot in my eye everywhere i look. LOL

Thanks for looking!
Rick

Old 05-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Shadera
All that trouble just for us?

Great pics!

Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Well, you know. We have people on the East coast who had less of a chance of viewing it. LOL

Old 05-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
great photos, thanks for sharing!!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
If you didn't get me all addicted to Fallout, I might have been sitting on the mountain with a perfect view, waiting for it, and got the full eclipse instead of the last of it.

HA HA HA

Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
AbsoluteApril
lol

Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
LauraB
Hell, I'll take the last of it! I looked and looked and looked (in the brief 5-7 minutes we at this side of the earth were granted to view) but saw nothing but disappointment.

Thanks, Rick - good shots! (Fallout- the band?)

Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
WebSlave
Seems to me that I saw an eclipse when I was a child. I can remember it getting pretty dark at mid day and my mom telling me to not look directly at the sun. I wish I had been on the track of this one. I would have put some neutral density filters on my camcorder and recorded it. Oh well, maybe in my next lifetime I'll see another one in person.

Looks like others were taking video, so here's a clip for those like me who didn't get to experience this personally.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Fallout the game Laura. It's freakin epic. Post apocalyptic critters, zombies, and much much killin!

Cool vid Rich. That's the kind of shot I was hoping to get. But those distractions get the best of me sometimes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!