Need help with IDing this salamander - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
missinasworld
Need help with IDing this salamander

I found these little guys in my dad's cellar in PA. Most were sticking to the wall were his spring water pipe came in and some were on the floor. They have the normal 4 toes in the front and 5 in the back with them being moderate or short in length. Colors rang from dark brown to lighter tan. Size are from 3.5 to almost 5 in. Some of them were missing tails and I attribute that to the snake or other creatures who lived with them below the house.

I think they may be some type of dusky salamander but I am unsure. The photos I took are not the best but these buggers are hard to capture out and in sight. I took 5 of them and put them in a 10gallon tank and with a waterfall and plenty of rocks, moss and leaves to hide under. I've had them for about a week today and they have already started eating pin head crickets and at night I can see them climbing the glass sides of the tank.
One of them appears to be gravid, or did because now that one seems to have hidden in the 1 spot I can only see her tail!

Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks for looking

Missina

Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
LauraB
I agree, looks like a Northern Dusky - maybe an Appalachian Seal if those are native to PA (I really don't know)

Old 06-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
angie.h
Yes,those look like the 2 [ Northern Dusky + Appal.] you mentioned which are native to Pa. I believe that they would enjoy small earthworms for their supper along with the crickets,too.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
missinasworld
thanks guys. I don't have any small earth worms but I was thinking about getting a grindal worm culture or something like that for them.

Missina

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!