Ticks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
WebSlave
Ticks

Man, ticks are a real problem around here this year. Connie and I can't walk across the yard without picking up at least one or two of them. Usually we can feel them walking on us and send them to tick heaven on the express train, but every now and again one will latch on trying to get a blood meal. We have to do self inspections nearly constantly. Worries me with all the pathogens those suckers (literally) will carry. But so far (knock on wood) neither Connie and I have come down with any known tick borne illness.

Just a few minutes ago I was in the bathroom and noticed a medium sized one waving it's "arms" at me, like "Hey! Come here! I want to talk to you!" Then I saw two more really tiny ones walking across the linoleum. Guess they are hanging onto our clothes and drop off when we change for the night. Damn, I'm itching just thinking about them.

It's not just here on our acreage, as a friend of ours about 10 miles away mentioned that he is having the same problem. Gotten to where he doesn't even want to go out of the house.

Yeah, life in the country with nature all around. The bloom doesn't smell quite so good on this rose like it used to. I used to think that I liked just about everything nature wise except squirrels. And fire ants. Oh yeah, mosquitoes and yellow flies. The list just keeps getting longer and longer.

So tell me, how hard would it have been for God to make ticks not attracted to human beings?

Old 05-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
chrisis697
Hey Rich try chickens. We moved 2yrs ago to a more rural house & got some chickens. I think we found one tick last yr.
Not sure if you need anymore animals but they eat a lot of bugs!
Good luck
Chris

Old 05-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
EdwardK
Do what the military does and get some of your clothes treated with permethin. Like this place https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx

Old 05-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisis697 View Post
Hey Rich try chickens. We moved 2yrs ago to a more rural house & got some chickens. I think we found one tick last yr.
Not sure if you need anymore animals but they eat a lot of bugs!
Good luck
Chris
Wouldn't work well here. Connie loves her lizards running around, and the chickens would make short work of those too.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardK View Post
Do what the military does and get some of your clothes treated with permethin. Like this place https://www.insectshield.com/ISYOC.aspx
Heck man, this is Florida. Most of the year it's shorts and sleeveless shirts. I know the stuff is supposed to be safe, but I'm not real keen on smearing chemicals on my bare skin. I guess vigilance is the key by checking for ticks constantly. Any strange bumps or itches need to be checked out immediately.

You would think as much as I sweat when working outside in the heat that any ticks on me would just drown.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
E.Shell
I have found four ticks on my person already this spring, and two had started to dig in. Got three in one day, walking a wooded stream bed for few miles, then got the last one in my mom's yard. All Lone Star Ticks. Always used to just be Wood Ticks, now it might be anything.

Can't wait for the chiggers to get active, take your mind off the ticks...

Old 05-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
EdwardK
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Heck man, this is Florida. Most of the year it's shorts and sleeveless shirts. I know the stuff is supposed to be safe, but I'm not real keen on smearing chemicals on my bare skin. I guess vigilance is the key by checking for ticks constantly. Any strange bumps or itches need to be checked out immediately.

You would think as much as I sweat when working outside in the heat that any ticks on me would just drown.
The nice thing is that your not smearing it on your skin but bonding it to your clothes. Even if you just do your shorts (which are partially kept from your skin by your undies) you are going to keep them from getting above the leg portion of your shorts. Putting out permethin treated cotton for rodents to use in their nests has been shown to work in some studies as your targeting one of the main hosts.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardK View Post
The nice thing is that your not smearing it on your skin but bonding it to your clothes. Even if you just do your shorts (which are partially kept from your skin by your undies) you are going to keep them from getting above the leg portion of your shorts. Putting out permethin treated cotton for rodents to use in their nests has been shown to work in some studies as your targeting one of the main hosts.
So, I can add tick control to the list of reasons for shooting squirrels?

Right now, feeding the hawk has risen to the top of the list. I actually feel guilty when I see him up in a tree scouting the ground for an offering and I wasn't able to do my part.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #9
E.Shell
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So, I can add tick control to the list of reasons for shooting squirrels?

Right now, feeding the hawk has risen to the top of the list. I actually feel guilty when I see him up in a tree scouting the ground for an offering and I wasn't able to do my part.
Sound like you need a few F/T rats for your buddy for when the squarles run out.

Old 05-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
Sound like you need a few F/T rats for your buddy for when the squarles run out.
I've been working on that "run out" thing for quite a while but there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of squirrels around here. I checked my supply of .17 HMR ammo today, and I should have enough for a while. But CCI came out with some ammo designed specifically for my Savage A17 rifle, so heck, I might have to get more of that. It's supposed to be 100 fps faster than other brands. I do have a couple of boxes of it but have only tried it in a bolt action rifle I have. Bullet impact seemed about the same as the other brands I was using to sight in that rifle. But 100 fps faster would mean a flatter shooting bullet.

Back when we used to have the mouse colony, I was feeding a small owl that was hanging around. He liked the fuzzies I would throw on the ground towards him when he sat in the tree to watch me. One day I gave him a small hopper, and he struggled to fly away with that one. Never saw him again afterwards, for some reason.

It's kind of difficult to get the hawk to associate free meals with me, however, since I have to shoot the squirrels when they are around and he just shows up later on. But I am thinking that he does associate the sound of a gun shot as a sort of dinner bell. I don't know what he thinks when I am down on my shooting range sighting in guns or doing target practice, however. Probably disappointed to find no squirrels for him, I guess. And perhaps thinking I lost my touch with the gun, too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!