#$%$$^%# Ticks! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
BallPyFan
#$%$$^%# Ticks!

Found a seed tick on my girl Peachy Saturday night. Sprayed her box down with Provent-A-Mite, but it hasn't fallen off yet. It's a small one, up under her scale, so I can't just finess it off with tweezers. Other than what I have done, what's a good way to get that nasty parasite off my girl? It must have come on on the live feeders I had to buy, because none of my furkids have them (and neither do I!). Help! It is annoying the living daylights out of me.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
lds2
Try wiping her down with Reptile Relief. I have used it on some of the WC's that I have purchased and it works great. You can apply directly to your snake without any ill effects. Just don't get it in her eyes.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:03 AM   #3
BallPyFan
Just an update: FINALLY got that nasty little tick off my girl! It had been up under her scale like a bad wedgie and took a while to work it ways out far enough to grab with tweezers. Stubborn little b@$tards, even in death...!

Old 01-23-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
ladyserpent7
congrats. by the way what substrate do you use. if its reptibark, id suggest you change that, just cuz they have more of a chance of getting mites from bark, in my opinion.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
TooManyBurmese
I have to agree with you about that bark, it really seemed mites "come out of nowhere" when I used to use it, but I could never be sure...

Old 01-26-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
BallPyFan
I have found that lining my snake boxes is the best use for the local newspaper. Still quite clueless on where they could have come from other than live feeders. I am winning the War on Fleas as far as the fur kids are concerned, have never seen a tick in my house that didn't come in on me right after a field problem (wargames in the woods while I was active duty, haven't been in the Back 40 since last May) so it's either from the feeder rats or one of my new snakes, but I was sure I had gone over the 3 WCs with a fine tooth comb! Pulled 2 more of another girl in the same rack this morning. Before you ask, everyone has their own box in the racks.

Old 01-26-2005, 02:27 AM   #7
ladyserpent7
im tellin ya, if youre usin reptibark, thats the problem right there.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
BallPyFan
NEWSPAPERS...I am too cheap to splurge on reptibark and besides the stuff stains bellies more than news ink. And tubs are sprayed out with ZooMed WipeOut1 disinfectant weekly, then hit with Provent-A-Mite and allowed to air out. Hides get the same treatment. Even if there is a source of the ticks...how the hell are they getting into the tubs and surviving long enough to latch on? That's why the only thing I can come up with is the live feeders a couple of my snakes are insisting on.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
BryonsBoas
Could be hatching eggs

If you have WC that had ticks they could've laid eggs and your finding the hatchlings from them.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:55 AM   #10
Cham keeper
I would change the bedding right away, or A.S.A.P. I use paper towel and it works great for me and I havent had a tick EVER! If your snake came with ticks or mites on it you should have put it on newspaper or paper towel from the beginning so the mites and ticks dont lay eggs and if they do they will be able to be seen.

CK

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!