Educational reptile shows? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #1
BlueCrowned
Educational reptile shows?

I've thought for a while that once I build my collection back up it might be nice to do educational shows so that kids can learn to appreciate reptiles the same way I did as a kid. I don't want to be paid for it necessarily, but I was wondering if anyone here might have some pointers, info about what sort of insurance I might need and where to get it, and just kind of how to set it up. Thank you!

Old 05-09-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
snowgyre
Rather than start on your own, see if there is a local or state reptile society that you can become a member of. In general state societies carry the insurance policy necessary to do educational shows with live animals, and as long as you're representing the society and they are aware of the event you would be covered under their insurance. Otherwise the insurance can be cost prohibitive.

Also... charge. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but people will take you and your show a lot more seriously if you have a charge. If people aren't financially invested in an event, they will cancel or not show. What I typically do is keep enough to cover my own expenses (gas, mileage, food) for the day and donate the rest to the society that pays for the insurance, or I just consider my contribution a donation and have them pay a conservation organization or the reptile society directly (a copy of their receipt is proof of payment).

Old 05-09-2020, 10:50 PM   #3
BlueCrowned
There IS a local group that does shows at some of the fairs and stuff here, that I've thought of joining... but unfortunately they will not be doing any shows for a while, considering.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
snowgyre
I'm going to reach out to my local library system today. Last year I did a series of summer learning events with snakes. I have a Twitch channel, so I think I may offer a date and time to do a live event streaming on Twitch. Only problem is I'm not sure how many folks even have internet down here, remote areas of Georgia are notoriously under served. It's worth a shot though.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
There IS a local group that does shows at some of the fairs and stuff here, that I've thought of joining... but unfortunately they will not be doing any shows for a while, considering.
I don't think anyone will be doing in-person shows for a while. That said, it would be worth joining the group now so you can learn their procedures so you're up to speed when the shows start back up.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
Tim Cole
I do Reptile Education and safety training for a living. Liability Insurance costs me $1600 a year.

Old 05-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
sschind
My insurance is 750 a year. I was able to get one event in in January this year before the virus cancelled 4 more. I second the recommendation to charge for your shows. It may be just for fun for you but these venues have budgets and get grants for this sort of thing and the ones that would be interested will have no problem paying. If they don't pay you they will pay someone else. It doesn't really matter to them and kids love reptile shows. I've been told by just about every library where I've done shows that animal shows always bring in the biggest crowds.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!