Opening a Reptile store!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
flyfan2010
Opening a Reptile store!!!!

Gonna open a store in tampa.....just looking for some feed back.....really none in my area.......good idea? or bad Idea?.......focus mainly on food and supplies....also some reptiles.........thanks for looking

Old 04-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
gsrept
lots of work, time, blood sweat and tears, tough to get loans for a pet store also but is cool you want to try to open one. just go in it with a level head and start slow. i wish you all the best of luck.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
tinmantribe5
Might wanna start with a Online store first its a lot cheaper and less Overhead!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
brd7666
I don't know where in Tampa you are thinking. I know someone else who is talking about opening a store in Tampa. Right now the economy is so bad that you might want to wait. Good luck if you do.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
StrictlyExotics
Make sure you keep your overhead reasonable and dont get yourself in over your head.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
flyfan2010
Thanks so far for replies......it's my love so dedication is no problem......i have alot of connections so it might work good.......thanks

Old 05-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
Tom11151979
I think that the only way that a reptile store can really be profitable is to do two things in addition to running the actual retail location.

1. Get a table at EVERY reptile show in your area. You will be there to sell animals, but you will also be there to network with other people.

2. Make a presence in the online community. Get yourself on all of the reptile classifieds and sell a ton of animals online.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
argus6873
Do childrens parties with your animals and open a reptile museum or zoo in the store and charge people to walk thru that area. The people can then use the money they paid to walk thru towards store purchases.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
malves85
It will be very tough but can be done. Start with a small hole in the closet shop. Dont lease a big space thinking you will have tons of business. Find a space with the option to expand in the future. As a kid I worked for a local petshop owned and operated by these 3 brothers. We were a tiny ass place in a shopping center for several years then the tenants next door moved out and the brothers expanded into the next two spots. Now I go there today and its a big profitable operation. It took time and I'm sure they didnt make much in the begining but they kept at it and now I'm sure they are sitting on some good money.

Do some demographic research. Find a shopping center where families go. Toys r us or something like that. Those are the ones with the pets that will shop at ur store.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!