Question about shipping. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #1
ElexisC
Question about shipping.

I see some people write the species of the animal on the outside of the box and/or include a paper above the styrofoam stating what's in the box. Is this required? Or is that something extra some people do in addition to "live harmless reptile" and if the box doesn't say "live harmless reptile" like some from even the shipping companies are you supposed to write live harmless reptile on the box? The rest I have down was just curious about the other stuff because I want to do it RIGHT.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
JButera
The paper above the styrofoam is required according to the Lacey act. Not sure of the specifics but I think you're supposed to write down the common name, scientific name and how many.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
ElexisC
Ok. Do you write live harmless reptile on the box? All the ones I see just say perishable, rush with arrows pointing up

Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButera View Post
The paper above the styrofoam is required according to the Lacey act. Not sure of the specifics but I think you're supposed to write down the common name, scientific name and how many.
Actually, I think you'll find that what the Lacey Act states is that the package must be labeled according to existing commercial practices...which goes to IATA guidelines.
Common & Scientific names + quantities of each are required.
I was told, many years ago, that the package must be so labeled (a packing slip attached to the outside was acceptable); but I'm not arguing the validity of the instructions provided by the SYR (I'd trust their experience/knowledge)

Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
JButera
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElexisOrtiz View Post
Ok. Do you write live harmless reptile on the box? All the ones I see just say perishable, rush with arrows pointing up

Shipping a live animal without a label (or written) saying 'Live Animal' or 'Wildlife' is also illegal. You're also supposed to write the common and/or scientific name on the outside of the box too. Most ppl don't though. I usually don't.
Attachment 808016

Old 08-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #6
JButera
Quote:
Shipping a live animal without a label (or written) saying 'Live Animal' or 'Wildlife' is also illegal. You're also supposed to write the common and/or scientific name on the outside of the box too. Most ppl don't though. I usually don't.
Attachment 808016
Name:  IMG_2458.JPG
Views: 172
Size:  60.1 KB

Old 08-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
JButera
For reference (SYR)
Name:  Screenshot (432).jpg
Views: 264
Size:  191.1 KB

Old 08-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
ElexisC
Ok. Thank you for your help I think I understand it all now.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
ElexisC
Quote:
For reference (SYR)
Attachment 808032
Sales receipt? So I basically have to write up a receipt stating they bought which animal for how much?

Old 08-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
JButera
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElexisOrtiz View Post
Sales receipt? So I basically have to write up a receipt stating they bought which animal for how much?

According to SYR, yes. I usually don't (my emails and Paypal invoices are my sale receipt) - and many; if not all, of the animals I've received in the past year or so had zero paperwork. 50% weren't even labeled Live animal, Harmless reptile etc, usually just up-arrows drawn with a red sharpie.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!