Discus Won't School - Need Help Introducing Them - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Night10gail
Exclamation Discus Won't School - Need Help Introducing Them

So I listened to the common rule of you shouldn't keep a single discus by itself even in a community tank with other cichlids (a discus is from the familar cichlidae for those who didn't know). I also made sure there is no major size difference between my discus to help prevent bullying. However, I just replaced my first discus's buddy ( I took the 1st buddy back to the store as within days it became apparent that perhaps he hadn't come to me in great health) and it's chasing the new one around practically none stop. Any suggestions to introducing my original discus and the new one? There is a very small size difference (0.5in) between the 2 but this shouldn't be a major problem. My original discus is a probable female while the new one is a possible male, so could it be the female is like I so don't won't to breed yet so I don't want a male anywhere near me? People tend to house pairs together peacefully all their lives though. Also, my original discus was only without a partner for 1.5 weeks so it hasn't been by itself too long. Would any one suggest moving my original discus into a breeder net for a week to give the new comer time to explore the tank, settle in, and acclimate peacefully before reintroducing it to my 1st discus? That way perhaps the new one will feel confident enough to dealing with it's attitude. I'm afraid if my 1st one keeps chasing my new one that it'll be under too much continual stress, on top of the stress of having new surroundings, that it won't acclimate at all and get sick.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
Gordon c. Snelling
Two discus is pretty much a recipe for disaster. You need more than two so the aggression is spread out.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
Night10gail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon c. Snelling View Post
Two discus is pretty much a recipe for disaster. You need more than two so the aggression is spread out.
I'm starting to realize this. I got a male female pair per the suggestion of breeders who keep their discus is just groups of two. I was only going to get 1 for my display tank but most of the care sheets said always buy at least 2 as they are a PEACEFUL SOCIAL FISH that need the company of at least 1 other discus. Semi-aggressive (to same species) fish is more like it like Rainbow Sharks (aggressive to each other but generally not other tank mates). I've had schooling fish before even ones semi-aggressive within their group of their species but I've had them be much less persistent in groups of just 2 and even got some to school with other schoolers not of the same species. I'd have room only for a 3rd yet but I've been advised against that and been told that my pigeon blood may just be overly aggressive for a discus so adding even 5 more wouldn't help.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
Gordon c. Snelling
It is possible indeed you have an overly aggressive fish, it does happen. If the breeders are are keeping their fish in pairs it is because they are bonded fish in which case a single pair alone does tend to work other wise it is either one fish which is not recommended or many to spread out that aggression. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
Night10gail
Thanks for responding to my thread. I thought no one would. I've seen improvement in them getting a long. Sometimes they each have a side of the tank and some times they hang out next to each other. Other times the original is chasing the new one. So perhaps the female is slowly agreeing that the other is submissive and backing off. She wasn't like this in her group at the shop and there were some on the small side. She had 3 other tank mates when I went but had been with only 1 for several days and I was told it was without issue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!