opinions wanted how soon would you sell Neonates ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
CFexotics
opinions wanted how soon would you sell Neonates ?

So I notice a post yesterday a larger breeder selling Boa babies listed as 2020 babies. My question is if they are 2020 babies they are less then two weeks old and he is already shipping them out. When I saw someone else question that his response if they are eating what's it matter. At best these were born the 1st and have ate once. I myself will not sell a neonate of any species until it is established feeding 4-5 times and no issues. What is everyone here feelings on selling a 2020 Neonate already ?

Old 01-15-2020, 11:42 AM   #2
richardhind1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFexotics View Post
So I notice a post yesterday a larger breeder selling Boa babies listed as 2020 babies. My question is if they are 2020 babies they are less then two weeks old and he is already shipping them out. When I saw someone else question that his response if they are eating what's it matter. At best these were born the 1st and have ate once. I myself will not sell a neonate of any species until it is established feeding 4-5 times and no issues. What is everyone here feelings on selling a 2020 Neonate already ?
I only sell my baby boas after a couple of sheds and 5/6 feeds too, I would never sell a baby that early

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
Scooter1685
I have always waited until they were at least a few months old, to be sure they're eating well and I didn't notice any issues. Customer satisfaction is important for anyone who wants to have more business in the future.

One particular person I've had good experiences with usually waits until they're at least a year old. I suspect that's mostly so he can watch how they develop and carefully choose which ones to keep for future breeding.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
bcr229
I wouldn't ship any neonate out that young. You can't know if it's going to have problems or fail to thrive after only eating once.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
CFexotics
I agree and I commented on the facebook post I am sure the breeders fan club will be upset and tell me how stupid I am and how I don't know what I am talking about. LOL But to me I feel it is unethical to sell a neonate that young

Old 01-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFexotics View Post
I agree and I commented on the facebook post I am sure the breeders fan club will be upset and tell me how stupid I am and how I don't know what I am talking about. LOL But to me I feel it is unethical to sell a neonate that young
Richard, all sorts of people read posts. Those who are careful of their critters as you are will remember your name and respect you for your stance, and may in the future become customers and/or friends.

Those who are minions who speak out against you, treat them according to your own personality. Some people will just grow a thick skin and ignore aggravating idiots, others will be more proactive and request that the minions kiss their grits.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
For me, minimum of one shed and 3 feedings but typically I wait until 2 sheds and 5 or more feedings.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Richard, all sorts of people read posts. Those who are careful of their critters as you are will remember your name and respect you for your stance, and may in the future become customers and/or friends.

Those who are minions who speak out against you, treat them according to your own personality. Some people will just grow a thick skin and ignore aggravating idiots, others will be more proactive and request that the minions kiss their grits.
I've made some strong comments in various places where response was negative, though I was clearly in the right. More than a few times, much later, someone would tell me that they saw what I wrote and was happy that I did so even though the weight of public opinion was opposed.

There are lots of people watching from the sidelines who support you but are unwilling, for lots of reasons, to express their support in the moment. Be as kind as you are able, be as firm as you are able, make certain you are correct, and stand your ground. Like Lucille said, you accrue respect for this even if you don't know it at the time.

Old 01-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #9
Midnight Serpents
If a breeder is already selling 2020 neonates then that's a red flag to never buy from them. You want a breeder that takes the time and cares for their babies. My general rule is minimum of 3 feedings but I like to get at least 5. That gives me about 2 months to see how they develop.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
Herpin Man
My own rule of thumb, for any species, is that it be eating reliably and have noticeable growth. I make the assumption that whoever is buying them does not have the experience to get them past the "delicate" stage.
In reality, I often let them develop enough so that I know whether I might want to hold them back for myself, before I sell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!