Sick Bearded Dragon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
c_a_w
Sick Bearded Dragon

Last week I adopted a bearded dragon from a young girl in my classroom. I found out that her father was going to put it in the freezer because the family didn't want it anymore due to its special needs. It has a broken back and his backbone has fused together in an S shape and it sticks up rather high and he has no tail. He seems to not be in any pain and goes to the washroom well and eats pretty well too. I have him in proper temperatures and under the right kind of lighting. I've have been giving him collard greens and kale with a bit of carrots on top for his greens. Tonight I got home and he seemed great but half an hour he started vomitting. I am very concerned about this. I have never had a bearded dragon before but have done as much research as I can to make sure he is getting what he needs. Could he just have ingested too much or what could be causing him to get sick? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-18-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
mrwenninger
Vomiting or regurgitation can occur because of overeating or can be sign of systemic illness. Try feeding smaller amounts and if it regurges or vomits you likely have something more serious going on. If you have a qualified reptile vet in your area you should consider taking it for an appointment, especially if it regurges on smaller food amounts.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
Rickey
He most likely ate to much dragons are hunters and granted yours has a broken back it should still have meat in its diet..

Old 12-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Rickey
Exclamation My sick Dragon

I have a Bearded Dragon I've have him for three years and got him from somebody else so im not sure how old he really is I have had no problems up until this point I noticed a few days ago a clump of dirt around he vent and relized theres aproblem there I called a local pet store who told me he has hemorrhoids soak him in warm water and Epson salts which i have and it has clean up some i pick him up and it looks like raw meat bulging out from him is this a dease and not what this other guy's telling me he hasnt eaten or defacated since to my knowledge what should I do is my dragon on its way out?..Can some one give me advise on what is wrong with my Dragon. Thank you Rick

Old 12-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #5
mrwenninger
sick dragon with meat hanging out

That could be a prolapse. Go to a herp veterinarian ASAP. I have never seen a case of hemorrhoids in any reptile.
Michael Wenninger DVM

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!