hatchlings outside? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-2004, 10:37 AM   #11
alejandro
actually i not want to breed them to just get mony. i dont mind about the mony.
and i will not need to spend mony on uvb bulb or heat bulbs because i will house them outside. the cages will cost me like 5$ a cage like 18-18-30 cuz i am making them. the only thing is the mony for the crickets. and i am starting to breed them. and for the supliments.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #12
romad119
breeding experience = veileds

If you wnat a 'pet' I'd go for the panther. If you wnat to break into breeding go for the veileds. Cheaper and easier to buy/breed use veields to gain some experience etc then move into panthers possibly. Plus if panthers are pretty rare there it will be harder to get good unrelated bloodlines. Veields should give you more ease in this area.

I plan to breed Veields in 3-4 months myself. Not for profit. At the best my plan is to break even on credit with my local pet store and offer a few as gifts to the right people (nephew, etc.)

Old 11-01-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
alejandro
i can order the panthers for 300 but the guys dont tell me the morph and i cant know if they are healthy
i need to give him 50% of the total price so he order then i give him the othere 50%. othere guys have a petshop so i can see them. if the petshop get them soon i buy the panthers. and would like the panther better since i always wanted to get one.
i will not breed them until they get 1 year old.
and that way i can get used to take caree of the panthers. i just have experience with veiled until a stupid guys stole all my 2 chams

Old 11-01-2004, 10:14 PM   #14
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally posted by alejandro
i can order the panthers for 300 but the guys dont tell me the morph and i cant know if they are healthy
i need to give him 50% of the total price so he order then i give him the othere 50%. othere guys have a petshop so i can see them. if the petshop get them soon i buy the panthers. and would like the panther better since i always wanted to get one.
i will not breed them until they get 1 year old.
and that way i can get used to take caree of the panthers. i just have experience with veiled until a stupid guys stole all my 2 chams
Some male panthers do not mate until over a year some 14 or more months old, mine wew cloes to a year old when I sold them and the female was showing breeding signs while the male showed no signs of being ready anytime soon.

If you do not care about breeding, Id for sure get a nice pair of panthers and jsut let it happens as it happens, but not from someone who cannot provide pics etc

Old 11-01-2004, 10:21 PM   #15
alejandro
the thing is that chams and any othere reptile is ilegal in puerto rico so i get my animals from exporters is very rare that a petshop have panthers. right now a petshop that i know is waiting to get panthers but he say that they were only 2" long i dont know if that head to vent or all the body.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:50 PM   #16
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally posted by alejandro
the thing is that chams and any othere reptile is ilegal in puerto rico so i get my animals from exporters is very rare that a petshop have panthers. right now a petshop that i know is waiting to get panthers but he say that they were only 2" long i dont know if that head to vent or all the body.
If they are illegal Im not sure what to tell you, I want a dwarf caimen really really bad and have for a long time but they are illegal in my state so I do not own one.

As for the 2" Id only have to guess that is snout to vent since they are more than 2" total length at birth.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:16 PM   #17
alejandro
yeah that is what i thought.

i will call the tomorow to see if they have them.

i already have a big cage for the male. 2-2-4. and a mid one for the female but i want to make anothere big one.
the othere cage is 16-16-35

Old 11-15-2004, 01:32 AM   #18
riverjop
alejandro, there's a reason why Chameleons are Illegal in Puerto Rico!
And it probably because the climate will support them there if they were to escape or be released! I would check about the penalties that you will incur if you are caught! I know that Hawaii has huge $ penaltys and I'm sure jail time if your caught with Veiled chameleons. I just think you should check into it before you possibly make the wrong decision.

Added; Persons possessing illegal animals, such as reptiles and snakes, are subject to stiff penalties, including fines of up to $200,000 and up to three years in jail.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #19
Chameleon Company
This thread has taken a few twists .... but a word of caution on your original concern about baby chams outside. Be forewarned that birds such as blue jays, mockingbirds, etc, will take to swooping to the top of the cage where babat chams may be hanging inverted, even on fine-mesh aluminum screen, and eating at the toes and feet, where they can pull them through, of very young chameleons. Easy to overcome by putting a beak-proof barrier (like chicken wire) a couple inches above the actual screen cage. Good luck.

Jim Flaherty
The Chameleon Company

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!