Amikacin injection a lil feed back desperately needed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #1
JungleHabitats
Question Amikacin injection a lil feed back desperately needed

ok heres the situation..
My male Anery was bit by what i thought was a dead rat due to the fact i did the bar on neck grab tail and jerk well the rat immeadiately went limp i laid it outon the table as i put 3 more down to feed other snakes. This Anery is about 18 months or so in age well after about 5 mins or so i tossed in the rats for feeding and went about my buisness . several days later i noticed a very mild swelling on the right jaw of my boy . i then pulled him from the cage and started inspecting this lump thats when i saw what appeard to be a bite mark just behind his head but only one mark no others were visible ( i LOOK VERY well) so at this time i didnt take this as a very serious situation. well this was a week ago and the night before last i was looking at thim and his right side had swollen up i again looked him over and determined a vet trip was in order. i called the only vet in this area and scheduled an appointment for today, as this was the soonest available as they were closed on monday. well heres what has gone down .

i went to the vet and asked about there knowledge of exotics esp snakes i was assured that they were knowledgable in them andfrom my initial talk she seemed to be as she said.
So she takes my snake and goes into the other room and looked it over took a tissue sample via syringe to do a culture on the inflamed area ... then came back to go over her thoughts. well she then prescribed amikacin 3 units every 72 hrs i am familiar with giving shots and have done so in the first 1/3 of the body well this vet gave this injection directly to my snakes head at the source of the bite. well with a 30 min ride home i get here and now his poor head is the size of a ping pong ball and he is seeming larthargic.

what are the possible side effects / repercussion of givingthis injection directly to the head area ? soon as my camera is charged i will post a picture , please keep in mind that this snake was alert ,movingas normal when i arrived at the vets office. right now i am almost livid with rage and need some advice on what amikacin can do tothat area if anyone has any knowledge of this antibiotic.

thanks

Old 10-21-2003, 05:46 PM   #2
JungleHabitats
Angry pics

these are my poor anery
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
JungleHabitats
2nd pic

right side
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
Jared@SS
Sorry to hear about your boa. I hope it comes through alright. I don't know anything about this medication but I wish the little guy the best.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
JungleHabitats
Stop! Passed away over the weekend

well to update this situation...
i went away this weekend to come home monday to find my snake dead in its cage. , i made the trip back to the vet today to discuss this with them and was promptly met with defiance of how it was "SOMETHING" i did wrong and that they( her the vet) would take liability in the outcome of her treatment now would she discuss the matter anyfurther and i was asked to leave her office imeadiately.

I would strongly urge ANYONE who plans a trip to a vet research that doctor strongly before letting them touch your animals ... i made the mistake of not going to my old vet 200+ miles away and now have suffered the loss of my prized animal. valued at $600.00 or better

Old 10-29-2003, 09:17 PM   #6
Rob BryertonRKK
I'm very sorry Alan.
Sincerely, Rob

Old 10-30-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
Jared@SS
I am also very sorry to hear that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!