need help on breeding my veiled chams. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #1
Veiledchamlver
need help on breeding my veiled chams.

when i put my veiled chams together, the female shows warning signs on one side and passive signs on the other side. And my male does everything right by compressing his body and rocking back and forward but when the girl walks away he doesn't chase her he walks in the opposite direction. i need help on what to do.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Nemesis
How old are they?

Old 08-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
Veiledchamlver
they are 6 months old

Old 08-30-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
JasonDescamps
There is absolutely no reason for veileds to be bred at 6 months of age. You should wait until your female is at least 12 months before attempting to breed her. By breeding at that young of an age all you are accomplishing is shortening her life.

Give them some time to mature and then try again later.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
Nemesis
My guess would be they are not old enough. Is the female showing the robins egg blue on her casque?

Old 08-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #6
Veiledchamlver
so you think i should wait even though my female is showing the robin egg blue spots

Old 08-30-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
Nemesis
I would wait, 6 months is pretty young to have babies.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #8
Veiledchamlver
okay thankyou very much

Old 08-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #9
JasonDescamps
A veiled can show receptive colors at six months and they can be bred at six months. As a matter of fact that used to be the recommended age to breed them at. As time has gone by we have seen what breeding at such a young age can do to a veiled as oppossed to waiting. Just because somethign can breed doesn't mean it should. It's best for your chams, the babies that they produce and the chameleon community who would buy the babies for veileds to be older before they are bred.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
elago
Breeding age

of Veileds depends on the individual female's health, body weight, living conditions, ect. I bred all of my females between 6-8 months of age without a single complication of any sort, with females laying between 43-63 eggs (across 14 females this year). There's no set of rules for when you should breed or not, it all boils down to the individual animals. When they're ready, they're ready- not before. Shortening the life span of an animal is inevitable when you begin to breed chams (especially females) and has little to do with what age you initially breed the animal. The problem arises if you wait too long to breed your female(s), she'll begin throwing infertile clutches increasing the chance of egg-binding. For an animal raised primarily outdoors in natural sunlight and fresh air, the breeding age of the animal safely moves a bit shorter as the extra sun helps the females metabolize calcium before (and recovering from) laying efficiently. In artificial lighting settings (flourescents, MVB's, ect.) the age for breeding moves up a bit. I'm not here to argue any points about at what age females should be bred, but 6-8 months is DEFINITELY a safe age for healthy, robust, well raised animals (I speak from experience from this year's animals alone), it is definitely NOT a safe age for an underdeveloped juvenile veiled to be breeding if the animal hasn't yet reached adult size (which is common in artificial lighting settings), in which case the calcium loss caused by an underdeveloped animal laying a clutch can be too much for the female, and her life-span will be drastically shortened. In more or less words, use your own judgement as to when to breed your female(s) based on the status of the individual animal you have. I have seen 8 month old females that should not be bred, yet I have also seen 5-5.5 month animals raised outdoors lay perfect clutches and live without complications, so it's really just up to the hobbyist to determine when an animal is ready for breeding. -Eric Lago *MS Reptilian Hobbyists*
http://msreptilianhobbyists.fabpage.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!